bought a 92 camaro has a 3.1 in it. completely new animal to me. looking for clarifications.

heres my issue, idles alright, slight miss and searches for a constant rpm, it ran ok before but lacked a ton of power, go figure plugs and wires were beyond shot. cap rotor and coil look ok but im thinking i might replace them. it ran better off idle once plugs and wires were done, as well as fuel filter trans filter. detente was redone properly. but it'll just idle, once in gear it misses like crazy under load, so much that it really wont run at all. this leads me to timing, which im far from good at. but the mark was didn't even touch the pointers it was just before that on the balancer if that makes sense.

now researching timing, unplug esc etc etc move dizzy clockwise and that basic thing but im seeing alot on thirdgen.org that base time is 10* i cant find out if thats advance or retard or if thats even correct. my tbi trucks sits at 0* and thats where i leave it, it runs best there from tuning and its build so 10* seems ridiculous to me.

im just looking for a driver till i can build it once my trucks done. thinking of the smart way to approach this instead of spending money

what i know. 92 camaro rs 3.1 v6 700r4 trans gears no clue

was told head and intake port work, hypertech chip (which scares me) edelbrock cam( which im rather against) there were videos the previous owner sent me of it running astoundingly, he just couldn't take it with him to SC and his neighbor bought it whom i bought it off of.

While the chip and edelbrock are two of my least favorite things its what i have to work with, im finding heresy that base timing is all over the place on these, and theres a bunch of misinformation out there from what i can tell. so someone set me straight please wheres my timing suppose to be for starters, ill see where that gets me and then if the issues clear up ill see if someone can make me a timing corrected chip instead of the crappy hypertech