Thread: Hi from Eugene Oregon

Carb and Points!

Cool Hi from Eugene Oregon

Hi! Doing this from my cell phone(what a pain). So short and sweet. 1yr ago I dragged my Grandpa's '55 Chevy sedan out from behind the barn where it had been sitting for 25yrs. Pulled the broken V8 4spd out and installed a 250 inline 6cyl and 700r4 trans. New brakes, wheels and tires, and an American Autowire harness. All on the cheap. I bought an '89 S -10 4X4 Blazer for the trans and TBI. Spent the last year looking through 6cyl forums for TBI knowledge and installation. Came up dry. Finally looked up TBI forums and jackpot here I am. Just purchased an Offenhauser 4bll intake and a 292 exhaust manifold and will be machining a TBI adapter plate in the next week or so. Also need to finish pulling the harness and goodies out of the Blazer so it can go to scrap. The '55 is a daily driver so looking more for reliability than performance (although that would just be a plus). I'm really looking forward to the challenges and the learning experience from doing this conversion. Thanks in advance for your ideas and help. Mike

I live near by in Vancouver WA.

I'm in the process of building a Chevy I-6 250 TBI system, very similar to yours.

A challenges I've encountered with the I-6 was finding a "factory" HEI computer controlled distributor (without vacuum advance) for the I-6. The Parts Stores I've visited (both online & local) show the re-manufactured distributor (A-1 Cardone 30-1677) is Rebuild Service Only. It appears the "without vacuum advance" HEI I-6 distributor is a 1983 ~ 1986 California Emissions distributor. You might have to plan a road trip to California to find one?

There is the option of converting the I-6 points type distributor for TBI, with the services of this place http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

The "with vacuum advance" I-6 distributor could be converted to computer controlled TBI:
    1. Remove the Vacuum Advance.
    2. Weld the advance plates.
    3. Remote mount the 8 pin ignition module.

I spend nearly 3 hours on the phone locating a salvage yard in California for the "without vacuum advance" distributor I will be using.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hi Dave. I think I've got a solution for the distributor problem. Going to use the bottom half of a 3.0 l4, found in forklifts, and the top half of the 4.3 v-6. Attachment 10170 Attachment 10171 Attachment 10174 Attachment 10172 Attachment 10173

Administrator
    That looks like a good solution. For the large cap distributors one can buy lock plates for both the vacuum and mechanical advance units.
    Attachment 10175

I have a co-worker who is rebuilding a 250 to put into his 70's model PU. (removing a 350 of all things) After I talked to him a bit, he expressed interest in tbi also. I did some searching also a couple weeks ago. What about ACDELCO 88864755? It does not show it as rebuild service and is the "without vacuum" distributor.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    What about ACDELCO 88864755? It does not show it as rebuild service and is the "without vacuum" distributor.
    I tried the ACDELCO 88864755 part number @ RockAuto.com ... Not Available. Does not look promising when actually trying to find one.

dave w

Wow, it was showing it this morning when I looked on rockauto, as that was where I got that part number from. Maybe someone tried to order one and there were none, then they had to update their listings.

Perhaps the OP's plan with the above distributors works out. If not I suppose something similar to what I just did with mine could be copied for a regular carb hei.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator