Thread: Willys43

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Willys43

Hi everyone, I'm a retired commercial carpenter with a new project. I have a 43 Willys jeep with a 62 Buick v-6 and I'm planning on putting TBI on it, and I'm sure gonna need you folks knowledge. Thanks in advance for your help

Craig

The Odd Fire Buick V6 is not an easy TBI conversion if you plan to use the computer for spark control. The Odd Fire distributor reference pluses to the TBI computer will cause problems.

I suggest consider upgrading to a TBI 4.3 V6 engine.

dave w

Administrator
    I agree with the "odd fire" problem. Maybe a '78 to '86 RWD 231 will fit without headaches?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I agree with the "odd fire" problem. Maybe a '78 to '86 RWD 231 will fit without headaches?
    That is an excellent option! See attached for a fuel injected even fire Buick V6 I did about 10 years ago. To save some $$$, I eliminated the "Turbo" from the EFI system. A little know fact ... the Buick V6 High Port intake is a mirror image design, which means a FWD Port Fuel Injected intake can be mounted in the forward direction on a RWD block.

Buick V6 engines are AWESOME, not the most BUDGET friendly engine to adapt fuel injection to.

It's very likely, a used good running TBI 4.3 V6 with a bellhousing adapter would be less money than adapting fuel injection to an even fire Buick V6? Finding a good running used even fire Buick V6 engines will be challenging vs. finding a good running used TBI 4.3 V6?

Is it possible to convert the Buick 225 to even fire, yes. Is it practical to convert the Buick 225 to even fire, likely not.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info, I have read that adding a crank signal would eliminate the signal pulse issue. What about map sensor reading from the pulsing air stream caused by the irregular opening of the intake valves? I would prefer to use 78 Hei distributor with computer control spark. If I changed engines I would use a 3.8.
    CraigC

I did a Google search;
    http://forums.off-road.com/jeepster-...ct-update.html
    &
    http://forums.off-road.com/jeepster-...ion-works.html

The links I've posted appears to be a fuel only Odd Fire Buick V6 TBI conversion? You could retain the original "Points Distributor" with a fuel only TBI system.

I was thinking along the lines of having an ECM with full functionality, controlling fuel and electronic spark advance (ESC).

I'm thinking for a fuel only TBI conversion, the MAP sensor will be OK with the odd fire pulses. The 7747 is an extremely slow computer, by today's standards, with a fuel table that has a broad scale 400 RPM increments x 10 Kpa increments.

dave w