Thread: Initial Setup of TBI, TPI and MPFI systems. Min Air Adjust, TPS set and Fuel Pressure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ahh, good to know.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Electronic Ignition!
    This article explains pretty well how the various types work: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/IAC.htm. Just read around the megasquirt configuration stuff that you dont care about :)

- Frank

Administrator
    A stepper motor like the IAC need to have power and ground applied to different terminals to make the armature turn a complete revolution. Look at the gm wiring diagram for your system and you'll see two connections for coil A and coil B. Each of these needs to be connected to 12V in turn on order to make the IAC move. When the ECM shows IAC counts, that's how many times the ecm has applied power to one or the other coils to make the IAC move. I have an old tool made by Thexton but I couldn't find it in their current tool lineup. Here's a thread that gives a homegrown way to check the IAC: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...96c4b37436442/ There's also a mention of an OTC3320 IAC tester but I really think those old tools are only going to show up in Ebay auctions or swap meets now.

You sure it's 12 volt? I wasn't... then read the IAC procedure .pdf and it says do not apply 12 volt... ?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I tried this procedure and when the A/B pins were shorted the IAC made noise and never stopped. Just kept sort of buzzing. Well, I didn't wait forever, but 30 seconds or so. Should it take a long time to bottom out, or is something wrong with my IAC?

Also, you specifically said to have almost no pressure on the return line. Why is that important? I've never checked it, but I am using a section of my original 1/4" steel return line, which may be on the thin side.

Yes when it's buzzing it is completly closed and ready to pull the connector.

Any pressure on return line directly increases pressure on feed line. Remember when you pinched your return line?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Any pressure on return line directly increases pressure on feed line. Remember when you pinched your return line?
    Yeah, I understand that, but if there were, say, 5 PSI due to backpressure from the return line, it doesn't seem like it would make any difference. If I'm keeping 11 PSI at idle, when the least fuel is being used at the injectors, I think I'd be okay everywhere else. In other words, if I don't go over pressure at idle I shouldn't have trouble off-idle when more fuel is being used.

But if there's more to it I'd like to know. It wouldn't be too difficult to used 3/8" line all the way back if I really needed to.

I don't think that is your issue. If it were you would be over 11-13 PSI. Read other thread.

-= =-