All,
I am in the research phase of an engine rebuild/replace for the tired 350 in My K5 (I think it is the L05) I have ~250,000 miles on the original engine and it is sooooo tired, I just re-gear every other year or so.

Pictures of engine/smog included below.

My goal - get usable power down low with high(er) torque than the stock 350. This is for a 4x4 that will see dirt, rock crawling, and a bit of street miles with the occasional overland/expedition trips. On the expedition trips it will be towing a small utility trailer (1/4T Military). It will not see the following: high RPM for long periods of time, the dragstrip, or smokey burnouts :)

1. TBI how/where to start with programs, tuning, etc....

• Can I tune the new (383 detail in item 2) adequately and still pass smog?
    • I have another complete TBI setup - build that to better serve the 383 requirements?
    • Please point me to the 'how to tune your TBI' tutorials (software, datalogging). I am PC literate and I have done tunes with systems for Motorcycles, LS's etc… While I understand the components, variables to tune, and data in general I am a NEWB to any TBI technology. (I have had the K5 since 93 and the TBI is like Gump - it just keeps running….). I am looking at the WinALDL stuff already - need to make a cable if this is the best/latest.

2. Confirm long-block build as likely to pass with good TBI tune, hoping to start with the HT383e http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...k-ht-383e.html

• Will this be a good starting point or will that cam destroy my catalytic converter?
    • My requirements for the new engine - more usable power down low. This will rarely see high RPM.

3. What exhaust manifolds should I plan on using?

• Is there an OEM set I should search for?
    • Is there a CARB set available or will that draw too much attention, legal or not? Something like the Tri-Y for torque - I am not crazy about headers but I hear the stock manifolds on this 350 are very restrictive.

4. Anything else I should look at?

Vehicle:
1991 K5 - originally sold in Texas (minimal smog equipment: no air pump, plumbing, etc…)

• It has 2 into 1 exhaust before the single cat
  • Engine - stock everything
  • 4L60 transmission (not 4L60E)
  • Gear ratio will be based on 5.13s with 37" tires
  • Weight ~7200lb - includes fuel, recovery gear, etc….

Thanks,
Dave