Thread: 4.3L to 5.7L TBI conversion

Carb and Points!

Question 4.3L to 5.7L TBI conversion

Hello all, I'M currently swapping out a 4.3L TBI in a 95 K1500 4wd with a manual tranny to a 5.7L TBI that was running in early 90's model truck. The motor has had performance upgrades done to it just not sure on size of cam shaft and what all has been done to the heads. Anyways I have found a lot of use full information on this forum so far. Now to just try and make sense of the information overload my brain has been subjected to. Maybe someone could help point me in the right direction. I currently have the engine swap complete but it will not idle for crap it is running way to rich. I think I have it narrowed down to the fact that I used knock sensor (8K Ohms) off of the V6 engine that was on the back of the passenger head and I extended the wire from the other sensor on the V6 that was on the driver side to the knock sensor that was with the V8 (10K Ohms) that is in the block on the passenger side down by the starter. Also it is currently using the V6 PROM as well. The current computer is a 16197427 BJWT . What I am trying to figure out is what knock sensor setup I should be using also can I get a chip that will function correctly from a donor computer luckily I have access to a lot of vehicles as I have been in the salvage business for 20+ years or do I need to burn a custom chip to make this combo work. I will be scouring over the forums to look for these answers but I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me or kick me at this point in the right direction.

Ok so it looks like I need to use/find a knock sensor that is 4K Ohms and replace the older V8 10K Ohms Sensor and just leave the sensor that was in the back of the head disconnected. As far as finding the correct V8 memcal can I get that out of any V8 TBI computer or does it need to come from a 7427? As far as burning a new chip do you have any recommendations on programming hardware/software. Also since there are no known .bin files with a 5.7 and a manual tranny would starting from a 7.4 .bin with a manual tranny be a good option?

Fuel Injected!
    As far as the bin which is BJWT (v6), you need to get a v8 bin or you can change parameters within the bin if you have tuning equipment. Not having the right bin per cylinder number will cause problems. I have a few 16197427 v8 bins myself and theres a ton on this site. The knock sensor will cause some issues as well. Not sure of the specifics, but I have read that the correct sensor is very critical. I have tunerpro rt for the software on my laptop and the Autoprom for chip burning and emulating. It will also do data logging so you know exactly how the trucks running as far as sensors go. I would say if you just want to burn the correct chip, download tunerpro rt and look on Moates.net at the Burn 2. Its pretty cheap and recommended by many. You will need the G1 adapter for the pcm in your truck. I suggest the GP1 package. For the manual trans you can disable the auto trans parameter using tunerpro once you get burning. You will need a datalog cable as well to see how its running and what to change in the bin. Moates has that as well, or there are some on this site that can hook you up as well. I would stick with a 5.7 bin myself, and turn the auto trans parameters off.
    Last edited by Stokes1114; 02-22-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokes1114 View Post
    As far as the bin which is BJWT (v6), you need to get a v8 bin or you can change parameters within the bin if you have tuning equipment. Not having the right bin per cylinder number will cause problems. I have a few 16197427 v8 bins myself and theres a ton on this site. The knock sensor will cause some issues as well. Not sure of the specifics, but I have read that the correct sensor is very critical. I have tunerpro rt for the software on my laptop and the Autoprom for chip burning and emulating. It will also do data logging so you know exactly how the trucks running as far as sensors go. I would say if you just want to burn the correct chip, download tunerpro rt and look on Moates.net at the Burn 2. Its pretty cheap and recommended by many. You will need the G1 adapter for the pcm in your truck. I suggest the GP1 package. For the manual trans you can disable the auto trans parameter using tunerpro once you get burning. You will need a datalog cable as well to see how its running and what to change in the bin. Moates has that as well, or there are some on this site that can hook you up as well. I would stick with a 5.7 bin myself, and turn the auto trans parameters off.
    Ok I ordered the G1 package and the Burn2 programmer as well as the adapter to read the stock chip. For data logging I have a Genisys Evo scanner that is capable of doing that. I hooked it to the truck last night and noticed I have the knock sensor code active and that the computer was advancing the timing anywhere from 23 to 30 degrees. I had to stop trouble shooting at this point because of a fuel leak on top of the pump. (rusty fuel line) so off with the bed I went. Does any one have any recommendations on a fuel pump that will fit in the tank with out any modifications to the tank as I am going to have to replace the whole unit because of the rust.

Thanks
    Bobby

Carb and Points!
    Stokes1114
    I think I am over thinking on what bin I need to start with. Do you have any suggestions? From what I read any 5.7 bin with OE mask would be a good starting point. My question is how do you know what the mask is of the bin?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Bobby