Thread: budget build questions for the advanced tuners 6825 ecm $0d bin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's nice to know, I am only building this to last until I can get back in the black. Starting next month, I will have more work and that should ease the budget somewhat. Fixing my wife's Blazer last summer and fall kind of wiped out my budget for fixing my truck, so this is just stop gap. I bought a set of small bore gauges tonight, so I can check the guides. I hope that I don't have to spring for too much work on the heads, it will delay getting it back together. Oh well, so goes life in the country.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Well, I just can't seem to win. Took the better of the 2 193 heads in to get milled. Turns out it is cracked, no wonder the truck ran crappy. Now I just went over budget again. Do I just put the good set of low compression 882 heads on that I already own, and find an intake manifold? How hard is it to slot the center bolt holes on the stock tbi manifold to use the 882 heads? I will disassemble the 882 heads, and put new valve seals on, hand lap the valves and call it good. Will the 882 heads allow the .474 exhaust lift?

I'm thinking a 283 with 882 heads (about 76cc if I'm remembering correctly) will have a compression ratio that will be to low.

dave w

Administrator
    I agree with Dave. The 882 heads will make it tough to get the compression ratio you want. It's not too hard to slot the center bolts in the manifold but it doesn't look pretty afterward. What about buying a used set of heads? www.car-part.com?

I might pick up a head from the machine shop, or try to find a set of 58cc center bolt 305 heads, but the 882 heads are already paid for. Yes the compression ratio is low. I used my dcr calculator to get 7.9:1. I wish I could just afford new heads, but that money thing is a problem. I will probably bite the bullet and get another 193 head, then pay to complete the head I have.

Well thinking about the 305 heads, but 9.7:1 seems a ltitle high. So I guess I will wait and get another 193 head.

Administrator
    7.9 is low and you're dealing with an old chamber design so fuel economy might be low. It would run but I'd keep an eye out for a smaller chamber version. Maybe someone has reasonably priced set near you?

https://klamath.craigslist.org/pts/6052760055.html

https://medford.craigslist.org/pts/6060150751.html

https://medford.craigslist.org/pts/6044010787.html

https://medford.craigslist.org/pts/6041504992.html

Thanks 1project, I hadn't gotten to looking at craigslist yet. I may go look at the set in Klamath Falls tomorrow if the machine shop doesn't have something interesting. I know the 882 heads aren't the greatest, but they were on that 283 in my son's Nova, and it ran pretty good, just the cam was too much for how it was geared. I have pretty much talked myself out of using them, so that means finding something else. a set of 350 vortec heads? I think they were 64cc combustion chambers also. A few more ponies, and torque. Maybe I can find a set that isn't trashed.

<edit>

Well, 4 hp and 5 lbs of torque may not pencil out as a good bang for the buck with having to buy an manifold as well. I spend too much time doing cost analysis.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 03-29-2017 at 09:30 AM.