Thread: Cam differences - vacuum, lift, overlap etc.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cam differences - vacuum, lift, overlap etc.

So as not to muddy up Rally's post, I decided to start a new post. I use DD2003 a lot to model my upcoming build, I have been playing with different combo's for several years now, and I think I hit the sweet spot for my build, but I am alway open to something new. I opened my build and stuffed in the spec's for the cam Mark recommended to Rally, and it was a little less HP and a LOT less torque than what I think I have settled on for my build (I know DD isn't absolutely correct, but it shows me trends). I have tried modeling a lot of different cams; Comp, Lunati, Howards, LT4 hot cams, Crane, Summit, and now Edelbrock. I want a torque build, and I have to stay smog legal, so that dictates my heads (193's, or really expensive AFR's, or World Torquer S/R's) and after getting some numbers from a set of 193's Fast305 ported, I decided to stick with 193's. That dictates my top-end even ported, so I chose a cam accordingly. The block is an 88 350 with the bosses ready to go. I think I want to use the Comp 8-464-8 Hydraulic Roller eXtreme Fuel Injection cam. It specs a Seat-to-Seat duration of 252/264 I/E with a lift of .550/.545 I/E an intake Centerline of 109 degrees and a Lobe Center Angle of 113. That gives me an very narrow Overlap of 32 degrees. It also requires 1.6 ratio rocker arms. I think that with that narrow overlap, I should get good vacuum, and the Lobe Center angle of 113 ought to make it reasonable to tune. However that being said, the last time I did a performance build was 13 years ago, and I didn't do that good a job with the cam for that build (way to big for a 283 and really tall gears). According to DD2003, my combo should see peak HP of 351 at 5000 RPM and peak Torque of 422 at 3500 RPM with over 400#/ft from 2000 to 4000 RPM. Has anyone tried tuning this cam? I really don't want to struggle with the tuning after I build this 355. Does this look like a reasonable build?

Compression Ratio of 9.5
    Quench height of .044 (.005 in hole with .039 crush height gaskets)
    DCR 8.15
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 04-01-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!