Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Okey doke... I broke out my o-scope to look at waveforms, looked fine whether vehicle running or not so that wasn't the problem. I thought it'd be interesting to try and buffer the signal with a PNP and was able to look at waveforms in that case. There may be a ground issue at play but need to investigate further and eliminate loose wiring. :) I was able to collect data during idle for about 30 seconds before TunerPro reported a data error (loose wiring, probably).

EDIT: it was a ground issue. Fixed. Data logging works at idle and engine off. Was able to collect about 3 minutes so far. Will have to test long term once I get this thing on the road. Wouldn't be too hard or costly to build my own circuit board.

Once the truck warmed up it was idling all on its own (not well, but still...) Pretty happy about that! Clearly open loop is whacked out. But this means idle is approximately stable enough to permit me to check and adjust timing. Whew.

I'm relying on Scott for the Autoprom emulator/burner until I can scratch together enough money for one of my own. I want to look into what it'd take to make my own emulator (or more precisely, some device that would permit near real-time bin changes). But all that's off topic.

Scott pointed me to this as a start for a DIY cable: http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=daewoo

Pretty cheap too, all things considered.
    Last edited by shimniok; 08-29-2012 at 10:46 PM.