Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    did you turn on cable echo in the adx or in preferences of tunerpro as they cable will pickup whats sent when you send it

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    did you turn on cable echo in the adx or in preferences of tunerpro as they cable will pickup whats sent when you send it
    Yep, sure did.
    Also tried EFILive and "OSE Enhanced Flash Tool" but both complained about not finding a heartbeat.
    I've seen chatter in EFILive, but it wouldn't sync because it couldn't get a heartbeat

Delcowizzid, can you elaborate on cable echo?

I've got a buddy with a computer science degree who is going to take a look at this.

It sounded too good and easy to be true, looks like it might be :/

Thing passes cable found and functional test in TunerPro but still won't connect to datastream.

Finally got it working. Guess my alligator clip ended test leads were corroded/broken and causing a no connection situation.

Stripped a little more wire and wound the wires diresctly to each other and it connects and successfully scans. Lots of intermittent data connection errors compared to the Moates cable, looks like a success but with that issue to work out.

For those of you who haven't got this to work, it is a possibility that the breakout board is junk right outta the box. I ordered 3of these from the eBay link on post 1. ONLY ONE of my THREE boards is good so far. Streams data as good as the moates cable. The other two boards connect, but data flow is very intermittent because of the data errors, over and over. The only thing i can figure is the other two boards are defective after comparing and testing all 3 boards side by side. I'm going to contact the eBay seller and see what they plan to do about the two faulty boards i received. It is interesting how the Chinese get away with making so much trash. The 66% failure rate on these boards i have currently witnessed is not impressive.

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi Everyone!
    Thanks for all this wonderful information. I've got a '95 Corsica with a transplanted V6 that I plan to plug into shortly to figure out what it's doing.
    19 pages in, and I just need to make sure, as this does sound stupidly simple,
    Solder TX & RX together, plug into Pin M on the ALDL plug
    Plug GND into the Pin A on the ALDL plug
    fire up Tuner Pro, and get info from the engine?
    Anyone rigged one of these cables to a Raspberry PI to have it serve as a secondary cluster? My Corsica has Temp, Speed, and Fuel Level on the cluster. Would love a small gauge w\ other stats if that's possible.
    Thanks!