Thread: Log Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!
    The 11 blade I installed is plastic: although, I think they also are made with steel.

The original radiator failed on me. The wire to the temp sensor (near the exhaust manifold) fell off, so I the temp gauge in the dash wasn't working. Luckily I stopped for gas and smelled radiator fluid, otherwise I the truck would have overheated going 75 mph. I now have a new radiator.

That was not the source of my lack of power though. I'm going to do a compression test and fuel pressure test today maybe that will give me more insight. (I'm new to Data Logging) I believe the fuel pressure is too high. My BLMs are very low across the range. The truck has a fuel pump in from a 95 TBI, but I think it's too much pressure still. I adjusted the regulator until it bottomed out and still had low BLMs. Also, my injector Duty Cycle is over 100, even over 1000. Do I need a custom chip to read this setting correctly ("the hack") or is this also showing my fuel pressure is too high? What is a good range for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    don't you have the wrong calibration currently? setting your fuel pressure to bring the BLMs in is a bandaid fix at best and fools errand IMO. Vortec or TPI pump is an excellent upgrade even on a bone stock setup. 13 psi, again is fine on stock stuff and where i target on stock or lightly modified.

is your engine a 350 or 305? is a stock TBI motor or originally a carb'd engine? previously you stated you had 350 injectors. are these GM used or aftermarket?
    Last edited by tayto; 08-21-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for your response. I'm really not sure what the problem is. I'm guessing at best. My blms are really low and the only thing I have to go off is my fuel pressure. I've put 305 injectors in and they made my blms too high and cannot adjust down to 128. The 350 injectors won't adjust up to 128.

It's an original tbi 350 I bought from a junk yard said to have 180 compression on all cylinders. The injectors are also used from junk yard, all sets.

I just finished a the compression test and the numbers are 145-150 psi. Kinda low, but consistent, and I'm not getting any smoke.

I've been really just trying to get this thing to run in stock form. I have several logs, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet. The only thing that sticks out is the low blms and the injector duty cycle

I'm open to options.
    Last edited by Mwtvvo; 08-21-2022 at 09:05 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    get the injectors professionally cleaned and tested. i have had bad injectors cause the BLMs to be low (rich). you also need to get the correct calibration and/or burn a chip with the correct calibration. re-read this thread, we discussed this already.
    Last edited by tayto; 08-22-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ya, I've been considering the injectors too. I pulled some injectors from the salvage yard to see if my conditions would change, but turns out I grabbed 305 injectors instead.

I found a big problem yesterday. In an earlier post, I stated my timing was off by 12 degrees. I rechecked the timing yesterday and realized that I disconnected the wrong wire on the firewall. My 90 Chevy I had years ago was in this same area, so I didn't even think twice about disconnecting it. Yesterday I saw a second disconnect and it was brown. After disconnecting that wire and setting the timing again, the truck is running much better. Self inflicted problems are the worst.

I still need to adjust my fuel pressure a bit, but the truck feels a lot better.

The prom I'm currently using is ASDU. I believe that one is close to my setup. Why do you think it's the wrong calibration? This comment throws me off, please explain.

Fuel Injected!
    leave your fuel pressure at 13psi and get your 350 injectors cleaned. i thought you were still rinning a 305 calibration, it seems you have one more matched now, I assume you have a 700R4 and the lockup works. glad you figured out the timing. once you get fuel squared away you can probably set minimum idle if havent already.

Electronic Ignition!
    Okay, that makes more sense. Yeah, it's 700r4, and the lockup does work. Finally feeling a little relieved. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Mwtvvo; 08-22-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Repost, sorry
    Last edited by Mwtvvo; 08-22-2022 at 06:12 PM.