Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Once we learned about this issue we played with a number of cars in the parking lot. While we could easily send early ABS equipped Y bodies into "ice mode" the later vehicles and anything with TEVES systems just didn't behave the same way. Years later in a conversation with a Bosch engineer I mentioned this issue. He replied there were software updates to the early Bosch ABS systems and if I had one that seemed overly sensitive a replacement unit should not behave the same way. I have never had a chance to follow up.
Not sure about that; I've never heard of any software revisions in the EBTCM for the Bosch 2U or Bosch 5 (1992-1996). Not saying there aren't, just saying I haven't heard of one. There was, I believe, a "race spec" version you could purchase from GM Performance Parts, but I've never seen one in person nor has anyone (to my knowledge) reverse-engineered one. They're long out of production, sadly, so even if I wanted to pony up the big bucks I can't get my hands on one to test it out.

But "ice mode" is in many more cars than just these few older GM cars. Again, this is because it's required by law (NHTSA FMVSS 49 CFR § 571.105 in the USA). Every ABS-equipped road vehicle has it. The difference is just in whether you notice it or not. Some are, as noted, 'better' than others. Sadly while I used to have a video that showed this pretty well in a newer Camaro, the youtube account that uploaded it was terminated, so it doesn't exist anymore. Basically the guy came in hot into the final right turn of an autocross, slammed the brakes, nothing happened, and he nearly went straight into a track worker's pickup truck parked outside the course. Had to reset the pedal and turn hard, and thankfully avoided it, his side mirror tapping the truck's open tailgate. Apparently this was 'fixed' for the 2019-2020 models.

Anyway, looking forward to following for more updates on the disassembly. Always a fantastic discussion. :)