MY QUESTION NOW, THOUGH:
I have done a tuning run with my timing tables and have data on my knock retard. Do I just take that Knock retard number (running avergage), subtract it from the value in the timing tables, install new table in my truck, rinse, and repeat? Am I looking for 0's or just less than say .5? Is it really that easy to tune timing? I feel like I am over simplifying it...
Knock is an audible event which indicates combustion pressure and temperature have risen too quickly and the energy which would be used to drive the piston is being converted into sound. Knocking can be caused by pre-igniton (before spark plug fires) or detonation (after spark plug fires). Triggers can include hot spots on the cylinder head or piston, lean air/fuel mixture, incorrect spark timing, incorrect octane rating, or a mix. During knocking the engine block, cylinder head, and piston top are heated above average temperature. As chamber temperature rises it becomes easier to light the air/fuel mix and the rate at which combustion occurs decreases. If knocking is allowed to continue there will almost always be damage.

Preventing engine damage using knock counts is really a dynamic process. Once knock begins the computer has to reduce spark advance below the value where it first occurred. Timing might be safe to 43 degrees, knock begins at 44 degrees, then the knock sensor activity causes timing to drop to 39 degrees before knock stops. This is because the combustion chamber and piston top require time to cool off. A stock timing table and ESC system are programmed to advance spark to table maximum, and if knock occurs ESC will reduce advance until knock stops. It will then increase advance toward table maximum. If knock occurs during this process ESC will begin the cycle again.

Tuning with knock counts imo requires time travel. Tuning with knock counts is not simply a matter of reducing spark advance at the RPM and MAP where knock is occurring. The goal is really to prevent knock by decreasing timing by the smallest amount necessary. Properly tuning with knock counts IMO requires reading datalogs from a point in time prior to the onset of knock to the point which indicates combustion chamber heating is causing or strongly contributing to knock. Changes such as afr increasing or rapid spark advance can begin a cycle of temp rise that results in abnormal combustion. I have seen cases where increasing fuel delivery at 2000 rpm prevents up to 6 degrees of spark reduction at 3000 rpm. I use the shape of the spark table as a guide. If I see a nice curve that generally seems to work, but requires a substantial change in shape (up to 4-5 degrees of timing reduction in one area) due to knock, I try to find a way to prevent knock in the first place.

In short: Drive the vehicle to obtain logs. Review logs for knock. Adjust timing tables to reduce advance and drive again. If you find you are reducing knock by more than three degrees in any three adjacent cells review the logs for changes that can be made elsewhere which could prevent heat in the combustion chamber from causing knock.