Thread: Arduino EFI, BMW V8 Tbucket

Fuel Injected!

Arduino EFI, BMW V8 Tbucket

Heya, hope you guys enjoy a pictorial of building my project.

Let's start with the engine, since I did:

Mid-Late 90's BMW 4.4L pre-variable cam timing (VANOS) shortblock (M62B44, referred to as M62):

Engine #2, Early 90's BMW 4.0L dismantler take-out engine assembly (M60B40 referred to as M60). To sacrifice it's heads, valve covers, timing covers, OBD1 front mount crank trigger & misc hardware.

It's claimed the early 4.0L heads have slightly bigger valves and bigger cams then the native 4.4L heads. However I did learn later that the M62 has lighter weight hydraulic lifters and I should've used those in the M60 heads for a bit more rev range.

The donor car: Mid 90's BMW 5 series, v8 & 6speed manual trans. To donate it's transmission & misc hardware.

Cylinder heads back from the machine shop after a surface & valve job. Coincidentally I now work at the same machine shop.

Assembled long block, using the early M60 double timing chain & idler set up. Eaton M112 Supercharger, water-air heat exchangers & fuel injection from a late 90's Jaguar on adapters to bolt down to the BMW heads:

Start building the car:

Me, being cheesy:

The first ever fire up:

https://youtu.be/bv2v7qUwN60

The first fire up as an assembled car, without any tuning time yet.

https://youtu.be/KXYmC-_l6HI

The EFI controller is a variant of Speeduino, called SpeedyEFI. Still using an Arduino Mega2560, it's a different arduino shield board layout then the directly available Speeduino boards and comes in a nice case with universal wire harness. It fires the V8 in paired cylinder batch fire and waste spark. It also controls the fuel pump, electric fan, supercharger water pump, 2 stage nitrous and nitrous intercooler spray bar all with manual override switches.

I've still got a ton of work left to do and hope to have it moving, steering and stopping under it's own power by the end of the year. Thanks for checking out my project.

Nice work!

Thank you for sharing!

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Nice build. If you want another open source ECU that isn't a toy, check out RusEFI. They've got sequential fuel and ignition running nicely on BMW V12s. Speeduino makes me sad... So many better alternatives.

Fuel Injected!
    I recognize that other, more expensive & more proprietary EFI controllers have better features. But I've been in the Speeduino community for a while, I have several of them running on different kinds of vehicles and have been relatively happy with the outcome. As is with any project, any build, any DIY anything. Just gotta jump through the hurdles and/or come up with some creative solutions when issues to arise.

Carb and Points!
    Wow that is neat. I like you're style.

Administrator
    I'm not sure how I missed this, but I really like this build. Thank you for sharing!

Fuel Injected!
    Cool build. Is it drivable yet?

Fuel Injected!

Sensational
    Ford 28 Roadster Pick Up
    Ford Flathead 51 8BA. Balanced, ported,3/4 cam, Edelbrock 59A heads, C4 trans, 8" diff 3.55 narrowed 40mm /side.
    Fuel injection by Flatattack racing, 60mm Holden TB.
    ECM Delco 1227808 160 baud.

Fuel Injected!
    Had the MVD inspection to get assigned a VIN. The Inspector treated the Speedway MSO certificates for the frame and body as Bill of Sales, so it took the Level III inspection down to a Level II. Because the "Bill of Sales" described the parts as "'23 T" the MVD actually registered the vehicle as a 1923 model year.

It's been almost a month on the road now, dialing in the tuning every time I take it out. After a few datalogs I noticed my supercharger never really goes into boost. The highest I've logged is around 94kpa, in an 84kpa Atmosphere.

I'm going to start with some of the more common SC issues, belt slip. Mounted a camera on the front of the engine and went for a drive and it is evident that the slack side of the belt does begin to rubber band under a load.

Although still in mock up and just tacked together, I've started to adapt a belt tensioner to the slack side of the belt.

I'm also on the hunt for a aramid cord 7 rib 57.5" serp belt, to help reduce the stretch.

Administrator
    I love this car. I really do. I enjoy the hotrod spirit you've shown by choosing an engine of your liking. I think the hotrod purists would get the point really fast if this had been built with RH drive.