Thread: Starting my Flathead EFI build. How to ID an ECM with no label?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Starting my Flathead EFI build. Making progress!!

Hi guys,

I am starting to gather parts for a fuel injection build on my '49 Ford Flathead engine which is in my old F-1 truck. I am planning on using the GM TBI injection system and have been reading and studying the various systems over the last month or so. I am an electronics tech so there will be a small learning curve for me to understand how programming and tuning and such is done, but at this point I need to get all the basics together.

So my neighbor gave me his old truck last year, a 1995 C2500 5 spd 4x4 (build 10/94 in Canada) with a 350. It had been sitting for a number of years so he just towed it to my place and left it in the driveway. I managed to get it running last year and drove it to the back of the property as I had no plans for it at that time. Decided to dig it out of the snow yesterday and drive it to the shop, plowed 2 feet of snow off the hill and an hour later had it down to the shop. I found the problem with rough running in about 5 minutes. The ECM had some mouse schmutz on the connector so I removed and cleaned it all and it fired right up, CEL went out and it runs great now...gotta love EFI.

Anyway, the label has been damaged and is unreadable. Is there any way to tell what this ECM is, either by taking off the main cover and looking inside, or decoding the interior bar code number which is next to the EPROM? The EPROM is programmed with BDUY and the number on the bar code is 512159103484223. I can buy a 1227747 but if I don't have to spend $100 for an ECM, I'd rather use what I have.

I'm planning on using a 2.8L TBI unit which matches the demands of the flathead, and it's the same bore size.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kilohertz; 12-10-2021 at 07:18 PM.