Thread: Hello from Los Angeles

Electronic Ignition!

Hello from Los Angeles

Hello: New to the forum. What brought me here was a TBI conversion I'm doing on my Cadillac 429. A buddy of mine and I rebuilt the engine and towards the end he says, "You really should fuel inject this.." and I'm thinking "oh, so a Holley Sniper or a FiTech, right?".. oh no..he says, "Let's go to the junkyard and rip the TB, harness, and ECM out of a 88-92 Chevy with a 454 in it." I hesitated for a second, but then got into the idea. Fast forward to today and we got a running engine using a 1227747 and a few extra mods like EGR to control preignition (it's got 10.5:1 compression so I'm gonna need it), fully electronic ignition (using parts from Chrysler and GM), knock sensor, and a catalytic converter (so I can walk behind it while it's running and not have my clothes smell like exhaust). It's been a super fun project and one I look forward to repeating with some other old engines I have, including another Cadillac 429, a Pontiac 389, and a Cadillac 472 engine. Here's a video of it.

And a pic of the car it's going into.

FB_IMG_1596238175437.jpg

Looking forward to learning about the various ECMs, chips, tuning, and the TBI system in general so I can apply it effectively to the other carbureted engines.
    Last edited by clarkent5477; 07-17-2023 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks for sharing the YouTube video.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    why TBI?

nothing wrong, just curious why you went that route, instead of 8 individual injectors?
    ...we're all here for a short time, do it when they say to

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    why TBI?

nothing wrong, just curious why you went that route, instead of 8 individual injectors?
    I'd like to do that next. I didn't pursue it because this route would be faster. But now that I have more confidence, I wouldn't mind trying that next.

Fuel Injected!
    The 7427 ecm would be so much better to tune with than your 7747. Do some minor pin swaps at the connectors to it and fit the G1 adapter to it.I think you would be a lot happier with the way it performs.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphR3 View Post
    The 7427 ecm would be so much better to tune with than your 7747. Do some minor pin swaps at the connectors to it and fit the G1 adapter to it.I think you would be a lot happier with the way it performs.
    Thanks! Apart from being able to tune better, are there other benefits to the 7427 PCM?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, If you decide to go 4L60E or 4L80E it can support them as well (shift points etc..). But mainly it just processes so much faster then the 7747.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...out-Directions!

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes, If you decide to go 4L60E or 4L80E it can support them as well (shift points etc..). But mainly it just processes so much faster then the 7747.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...out-Directions!
    Nice! A 4L60E would be nice in it. Do you know if the 454 version of the 7427 had knock sensors?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, all 7427s support knock sensors. Do a search within Rockauto. Should be for a 94 or 95 with 7.4 (454). I believe the sensor you need is a KS6. There is threads on this sight that will support all this.

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes, all 7427s support knock sensors. Do a search within Rockauto. Should be for a 94 or 95 with 7.4 (454). I believe the sensor you need is a KS6. There is threads on this sight that will support all this.
    sweet! Thanks!