Thread: Checksum Error Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Checksum Error Question

Hi Guys, i'm starting to make small tweaks to my truck bin file. I started by adjusting the electric cooling fan on/off temperatures today, and when i saved the changes to a new file name it showed a checksum error. Can someone give me a brief explanation of what this is and how to correct it. Thank you.
    Live like you're on vacation

Fuel Injected!
    A bad checksum will brick your PCM if the BIN containing the error is allowed to be written to the PCM. What named BIN file are you using and what named XDF definition file are you using inside of Tuner Pro RT? They need to be the same.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

The bin and xdf files seem match, OS 12208322 i can open the bin file and look at it, make mods but i haven't written it onto my pcm . I posted the files below if you can have a look and let me know where im making the mistake i would appreciate it.
    Last edited by 780ripper; 03-10-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: additional info added

Fuel Injected!
    Your XDF file size matches what I have here. What size of engine are you needing? Is it really an 8.1 liter engine that is what you are installing in a vehicle? I'm thinking there may be something already wrong with the BIN you posted above. Not that it was your fault but that somebody had bodged up by using the wrong XDF with it before you got it.

If it is a different engine size that you need, this BIN will require a segment swap.

Rick

Fuel Injected!
    There are also "checksum plugin" files for Tuner Pro RT. Do you have those from the TP RT web site?

Rick

hi Rick, yes its an 8.1 / 4L80E that i installed, in a half ton, its awesome. i had a professional tuner set up the pcm with hp tuners so that i could run, from what i can see he mostly just removed the vats and my cash. I also bought a professionally assembled wiring harness that turned out to be missing connections which i also had to sort out bu myself. Im in the process of installing fuel pressure and air fuel ratio gauges so that i can watch what its doing. It runs hot so i want to change the fan settings for starters. I do not have the checksum plugin for that file, and i don't know how to use it yet, steep learning curve, i was hoping to make a clone of my pcm just in case i screw it up. i have a second pcm with OS 12216125 also set up to run this truck but it doesn't work properly
    Last edited by 780ripper; 03-11-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: additional info added