ok, so as i stated in my newbie post, i am very new to this tuning thing. that being said, i have been reading around the forum and it is my understanding that if i want to switch my OS to one with more .xdf files i simply need to write a .bin file to my PCM that has an OS that actually has .xdf files available? for example, my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L 4x4 with 4l60 trans has the 12205612 OS on it. Since that OS has NO .xdf files available, i simply need to modify a .bin to my liking, containing the parameters of a 4.8L 4x4 with 4l60 trans and write it to my PCM and it will "become" that build? no need to worry about the VIN matching, OS matching since i will be replacing it with one that can actually be modified?

trying to learn, but also not trying to completely brick my truck and drop a ton of cash. my end goal is to get more torque, HP, fuel economy, and LONGEVITY out of the vehicle. its currently got 226k on it and i dont wanna say goodbye anytime soon. ( obviously im still doing general maintenance and regular tuneups ;) )

if im understanding correctly, im open to any suggestions of OS/.bins i could use!
if im not, then PLEASE, correct me so i can learn!
thank yall!