Thread: understanding .xdf, .bin, and OS

Carb and Points!

understanding .xdf, .bin, and OS

ok, so as i stated in my newbie post, i am very new to this tuning thing. that being said, i have been reading around the forum and it is my understanding that if i want to switch my OS to one with more .xdf files i simply need to write a .bin file to my PCM that has an OS that actually has .xdf files available? for example, my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L 4x4 with 4l60 trans has the 12205612 OS on it. Since that OS has NO .xdf files available, i simply need to modify a .bin to my liking, containing the parameters of a 4.8L 4x4 with 4l60 trans and write it to my PCM and it will "become" that build? no need to worry about the VIN matching, OS matching since i will be replacing it with one that can actually be modified?

trying to learn, but also not trying to completely brick my truck and drop a ton of cash. my end goal is to get more torque, HP, fuel economy, and LONGEVITY out of the vehicle. its currently got 226k on it and i dont wanna say goodbye anytime soon. ( obviously im still doing general maintenance and regular tuneups ;) )

if im understanding correctly, im open to any suggestions of OS/.bins i could use!
    if im not, then PLEASE, correct me so i can learn!
    thank yall!

Fuel Injected!
    Sounds like you have it figured out. However, I would suggest that you go to the junk yard and buy a lab rat spare PCM to play with. Don't mess with the good PCM in your vehicle.

All of this also works much more dependably when you program the PCM using a bench harness and a good 12 volt, two amp power supply. Doing programming of the PCM with it in the vehicle is risky because of the voltage falling below about 12.2 volts and other bus chatter going on inside the vehicle. I built my bench harness with junk yard parts.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    I think I'm in a similar boat RH_K1500. Just read my pcm and it has OSid 12606960 which doesn't seem to have an XDF available.

If you modify a new bin and change the main parameters to match your engine size, drive type and trans, do you have to do anything with the VE tables or timing? or does it automatically plug in the stock #'s?

Fuel Injected!
    I think what you are trying to do might require a "segment swap" to change to a different engine or transmission. And no, nothing happens automatically. The Tuner Pro RT program will warn you what can and can't be changed and the things that can't be changed might fall into the category of needing a segment swap.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's