Thread: Learning Curve 2.0 - ughh

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Learning Curve 2.0 - ughh

Evening all! Got my engines swapped out and everything seems to be working, except it is a slug. Not the power I am use to out of this engine when it was carburetor, and even weaker then the old worn out TBI that I pulled out.

This engine does have better cast iron heads (not vortec, yet), Holley Street Dominator intake, TBI adapter, and original TBI. The only oddity is Big Cap HEI with a divorced module ( module is mounted on the firewall.

Feels like a timing issue, but that should not be. Base timing is set at zero, and does not fluctuate (ESC wire disconnected) The old school in me wants to bump the timing, but I want to understand what the data is telling me first. Especially the knock counts and retard!

Knock counts are showing at 225 plus at idle, Knock retard is at 20 to 25% at idle! Why?
    I do not hear any knock (per-detonation). The Knock sensor was pulled from the old engine and put in the new one in the same water jacket drain.

Data Acquisition with TunerProRT v5, I think I did it correct, but not sure. Reading the help files again, and again just to make sure.

Files attached: The one marked 1st Log was a short drive down the road and back, check engine light cam on which was a EGR Failure code (EGR is not hooked up and I have not deleted it in the tune yet)
    2nd Log was a short look and see sitting in the driveway trying to figure out the knock count and knock retard at idle.
    Maybe that sensor is bad, but it did not give me any grief in the old engine.

Original and Current PCM is a '8625, BLCP, $E6 mask. Nothing has been tweaked yet!

Note: The truck ran the same (weak) with a '7427, BJLH, $OD mask. For some reason that file did not save.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending