Thread: Editing 12606960 or flash new bin

Carb and Points!

Question Editing 12606960 or flash new bin

I'm trying to understand everything that needs to work together to successfully edit the bin on my ls swap. It has a 1mb p59 PCM with OS ID of 12606960. I used LS Droid to read and save my 'stock' bin. 'stock' because I already sent my PCM out last year to have VATS and rear O2s removed. From what I've read, there is no XDF file yet for OSid 12606960 that would allow me to edit my bin in TunerPro. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. With that said I'm trying to understand my options moving forward. My goal is to update gearing and related parameters in order to get an accurate speedo and better shifting out of the 4l60e. Eventually would like to play with other settings as well, but goal currently is just gearing and speedo adjustment.

My questions
    1. Aside from TunerPro, is there another free/donationware app that would allow me to make the above edits to my current bin(12606960)?

2a. Do I create a new bin using the 12587603 Bin and XDF on BoredTruckOwner's github?
    2b. If I decide to use 12587603, do I have to set every parameter and is there a way to make sure it matches my current bin(12606960)?

possibly worded better, how involved is question/option 2?

Cheers,
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Buck60 View Post
    I'm trying to understand everything that needs to work together to successfully edit the bin on my ls swap. It has a 1mb p59 PCM with OS ID of 12606960. I used LS Droid to read and save my 'stock' bin. 'stock' because I already sent my PCM out last year to have VATS and rear O2s removed. From what I've read, there is no XDF file yet for OSid 12606960 that would allow me to edit my bin in TunerPro. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. With that said I'm trying to understand my options moving forward. My goal is to update gearing and related parameters in order to get an accurate speedo and better shifting out of the 4l60e. Eventually would like to play with other settings as well, but goal currently is just gearing and speedo adjustment.

My questions
    1. Aside from TunerPro, is there another free/donationware app that would allow me to make the above edits to my current bin(12606960)?

2a. Do I create a new bin using the 12587603 Bin and XDF on BoredTruckOwner's github?
    2b. If I decide to use 12587603, do I have to set every parameter and is there a way to make sure it matches my current bin(12606960)?

possibly worded better, how involved is question/option 2?

Cheers,
    Buck
    If you want to keep your 12606960 OS, the only option I know of is HP Tuners.
    Considering that .bin is for a '04, your best bet would be a '7603 and edit to your needs. There are multiple '7603 .bins list here on this forum, as well as the .xdf's.
    Look here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rPro-Bin-Files

Several have contributed stock files, I recently uploaded the stock '7603 bin from my '04 Z66 Avalanche.

The 6960 and the standard '7603 4x2 Silverado and Avalanche .bins should be close enough that you do not have to edit much for a starter .bin
    Last edited by trlrider; 05-15-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

Fuel Injected!
    You can take a look at Universal Patcher for editing ls1 bins. It is a free alternative to commercial products.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...versal-Patcher

Make sure you get the latest version at github.

Carb and Points!
    Ahhh, that makes more sense, thank you trlrider. So use 7603 and find a bin that matches my current setup as close as possible, 5.3, 4l60e,..... then make any necessary changes that I want.

Thank you for the assist!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck60 View Post
    Ahhh, that makes more sense, thank you trlrider. So use 7603 and find a bin that matches my current setup as close as possible, 5.3, 4l60e,..... then make any necessary changes that I want.

Thank you for the assist!
    Pretty much the easiest path for most is the OS swap. Get a spare and save your original for backup.

As kur4o pointed out, the Universal Patcher is a great tool as well if if you have a firm grasp of what is required.
    I have played with that tool, but not tried it on a vehicle as of yet. Still working on a new build.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

Carb and Points!
    Definitely don't have a firm grasp yet so I'll stick with OS swap and available bins. Just started learning about all these tools in the last week or two. I won't flash anything to my current PCM as it's my only. Will pick a second one up in the next few weeks as use it as my test mule

Fuel Injected!
    Definitely get a spare PCM and a bench harness with a good two amp or so 12 volt power supply. My bench harness is an all junk yard parts thing and my power supply is an old Radio Shack three amp, 13.8 volt box. Works great and I have not bricked anything with it.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's