Thread: need tuning tips please

Carb and Points!

need tuning tips please

hello to all. i am very very new to flashing and tuning. i have a 91 chevy 1500 that my son and i have built. the engine is vortech block and ported heads. all the internals are from a LT4 and we are using 1989 TPI intake with 0411 pcm with 2001 vortech tune. we are changing the cam to the LT4 hotcam and i converting the hyd roller lifters to mechanical. my question is, am i going to have to change the tune for it to proform properly? thanks in advance and i appauligize if this is posted in the wrong place.

Carb and Points!
    7165 ecu?

I'm checking to make sure I understand the engine Configuration and EFI System Configuration.

Engine - Small Block Chevy with performance upgrades.

'EFI Configuration - OBD2 with the '0411 PCM Flashed with a modified 2001 Express Van Flash.

I'm checking to make sure I understand the question; will the flash that is currently in the '0411 work with the performance changes (LT4 Hot Cam / Mechanical Liters)?

What software is being used to data log fuel trims, SA, CTS, MPH, MAP, RPM, MAF, TPS, and knock retard?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Is there a repository of all the ls swap tunes with different combination built such as 5.3 with ls1 intake and stock fuel injectors, truck MAF, truck TB? I’m sure some have done it and what is their tune to make it run stable? Please if you have a ls swap combo, please upload/attach your bin and what the ls combo that bin have.
    Last edited by s6tyn9; 05-28-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by s6tyn9 View Post
    Is there a repository of all the ls swap tunes with different combination built such as 5.3 with ls1 intake and stock fuel injectors, truck MAF, truck TB? I’m sure some have done it and what is their tune to make it run stable? Please if you have a ls swap combo, please upload/attach your bin and what the ls combo that bin have.
    The "library" is for stock tunes. Modified tunes like a LM7 5.3 with LS1 intake / LS1 injectors and No VATS are allowed to be shared in an individual tread or post. It makes sense that a stock LM7 5.3 file and stock LS1 file are in the Library to leverage a custom flash with. Sometimes members will share modified files. Sometimes members feel there is to much risk to the end user to share a modified file. Maybe a modified file works great for someone, yet causes headaches and frustration to someone else. Maybe a modified shared file is not well documented, like "For Single Line Fuel Rail ONLY!" It's never fun to learn after the fact, that a "For Single Line Fuel Rail ONLY" flash was used on engine with a return line.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    thats correct. 411 pcm w/express van flash. i havent completed the cam upgrade yet and i havent done any data logging yet. i was thinking of using pcm logger unless there is a easier way to log. i am using pcm hammer w/tunerpro rt to do my flashing. witch i am very new at the flashing and tuning. but i am very experienced with all of gm fuel injection repair all the way back to the 80s. so i understand the principle. sorry for taking so long to reply back. and thanks for your reply. ps. i was using the 7165 ecu one this and just recently up graded to the 411. obd2 is just soooo much easier to tune and diag
    Last edited by pat koepp; 05-29-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added to it

I do not have a recommendation for OBD2 data logging software.

Possibly data logging information in this link will help: http://aldlcable.com/allinone.asp

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I log with the various Android OBD2 apps - Car Scanner - they are good enough and usually free. I'm sure the Iphone has them, too. I have also picked up a VX Diag VCX Nano J2534 device on a USB cable that is also a bi-directional scanner / logger / Tech2 emulator and lashes up with PCM Hammer for four times faster PCM reading and writing.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    cool. yea i have car scanner app also and use it a lot on diag cars. i had forgotten about it having a logger too. i will need some help understanding what i will be looking at and what i need to do(as far as what to change in the tune). thanks for the info and the reminder. lol. do u mind me asking what app or sw u are using with the j2534 device for bidirectional controls? i have been searching for something with bidirectional control to use with either my laptop or tablet. i am a do it myselfer. i can build my own cables and such. as i have for gm obd1 for use with my laptop and winaldl. so i am always up for build of some source. thanks again

Fuel Injected!
    My Nano J2534 device comes with a GM "Tech2" emulator which is the scanner and bi-directional controller. There's a few You Tube videos about it - search for "VCX Nano Diagnostic Tool". Mine is the USB cable version.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's