Thread: 4L80E sport shift mode

Fuel Injected!

4L80E sport shift mode

Good evening all,
    I need some help. Does anyone know how to wire a 4L80E to work in sport mode with a Lokar LS shifter with OE reprogrammed ECU. I called Lokar and they said they don't know how to wire it, they say I need an aftermarket trans controller. In fact, it seemed like the tech guy couldn't be bothered with my question. I don't want to purchase a controller. If need be I will send the shifter back and get something else. I've gotten help from people on this forum before. I hope you guys can help again.

Thanks
    Tom

Administrator
    Hi Tom,

Typically the sport mode switch is a momentary contact switch. Did this vehicle originally have sport mode? Does the shifter have a place to install a momentary contact switch?

Fuel Injected!
    Good morning, thanks for the reply. The shifter has three momentary switches one is to power up the other switches as a latching switch. The other two are single pole double throw momentary switches. They are for upshifting and downshifting. The trans is being controlled by the OE ECU that I reprogrammed with tuner pro. I set it for manual shift so I'm guessing there must be a way to use the sport mode but I can't figure out how. I also ran a line from the infamous pin 71 on the PCM into the car.I hope we can get it to work. I took pictures of the part of the installation manual with the wiring information but I can't figure out how to get it to upload I thought it might be helpful.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

Wow, I never noticed the blue pin 71 Performance Mode Switch on my LT1Swap pinout diagrams. Interesting.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post
    Hello,

Wow, I never noticed the blue pin 71 Performance Mode Switch on my LT1Swap pinout diagrams. Interesting.

Rick
    I haven't hooked it up yet. Still trying to sort out shifter issue.

Fuel Injected!
    What is the use of pin 71? I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else - but I'm very interested.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Fuel Injected!
    The way I understand it, is that it allows for the use of a performance shift table. But not really understanding how to actually use it. I have seen some YouTube videos,but all they seem to use it for is to drop down a gear for towing. It is known as tow/haul mode. Sorry I don't know more. Maybe we can both learn something.

Administrator
    Tom...

I could be misunderstanding the question. What I'm hearing is that you want to be able to tell the pcm to switch between normal and optional shift modes using a control button. You have a diagram for a circuit that is used by the OEM to command a change in shift tables, but you have not installed the components to make the circuit work.

Are you using a PCM and calibration that are already set up for a 4L80E? If so, you only need to duplicate the factory wiring through the "tow/haul" switch. Activating the switch tells the pcm that you want to change shift mode. The PCM doesn't know the difference between "sport" or "tow/haul." It does what it's programmed to do in alternate shift tables. If you do not tow or haul then you can change those table to provide performance shifts.

Fuel Injected!
    My PCM is already set up for 4L80E and the shift pattern switch type has been set to manual mode via pin 31. From my understanding, pin 71 only loads a different shift table, while pin 31 allows full manual shifting. The shifter I purchased (Lokar INS0169) has the normal P-R-N-D positions. The shifter also has a sport shift mode where you move the stick over to the right and you can bump shift up and down. There are 3 switches built into the shifter, all SPDT. One is used as a latching switch and the other 2 for upshifting and downshifting. I may be misunderstanding the wiring instructions but it seems it won't work the way i need it too. I will have to check tomorrow with an ohmmeter to see if they will. I attached the switch wiring instructions, that should make clearer what I am trying to achieve. Again I appreciate all your help.

Wiring the Manual Mode and Bump-Shift Switches
    The Lokar Electronic Sport Mode Shifter can function just like a traditional automatic transmission shifter if you wish. It is not necessary to even connect the wiring for the Manual mode switches if you do not want the "bump-shift" functionality.
    There are three identical switches on the Sport Mode Shifter, Fig. 14 and Fig. 15 The switches are single pole double throw (SPDT) momentary switches. However, the Manual mode on-off switch is being used as a "latching" (instead of momentary) switch in this application.
    Each switch has black, blue, and red wires. The red wire is connected to the normally closed (NC) terminal. The blue wire is connected to the normally open (NO) terminal. The black wire is connected to the common (COM) terminal.
    The Manual mode on-off switch is top-center on the left side of the Shifter base. The Manual mode on-off switch has continuity between the black and the blue wires when the Shifter is in the Drive (or Overdrive) position (EXCEPT Ford 6R80, when the lever is in the rearmost Sport position).
    Manual mode is activated by pushing the shifter lever to the right when the Shifter is in the Drive (or Overdrive) position (EXCEPT Ford 6R80, when the lever is in the rearmost Sport position). The Manual mode switch will then provide continuity between the black wire and the red wire. Pushing the lever back to the left turns Manual mode off.
    The downshift switch is at the front of the Shifter, and it is activated by pulling the shift lever rearward and releasing it when in Manual mode. At rest, the switch provides continuity between the black wire and the red wire. Activating the downshift switch provides momentary continuity between the black wire and the blue wire, signaling the transmission controller to command a downshift.
    The upshift switch is at the rear of the Shifter, and it is activated by pushing the shift lever forward and releasing it when in Manual mode. At rest, the switch provides continuity between the black wire and the red wire. Activating the upshift switch provides momentary continuity between the black wire and the blue wire, signaling the transmission controller to command an upshift.
    Please note that with a fully electronic transmission, the shifter only sends a request to the transmission controller to perform a specific task. The response to a shift request may not be immediate, or in some situations may not happen at all, depending on the vehicle speed, engine load or RPM, and how the controller is programmed.

Hi everyone, i have questions about this topic as well;

how can you tell if the pcm is programmed to accept inputs for pin 71 ( is there a line for it in tuner pro? )

will it light up the tow haul icon in the dash if its activated or not?

i have the pin 71 wiring hooked up to a grounded push button but cant tell the difference when using it and the light never comes on.
    Live like you're on vacation

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 780ripper View Post
    Hi everyone, i have questions about this topic as well;

how can you tell if the pcm is programmed to accept inputs for pin 71 ( is there a line for it in tuner pro? )

will it light up the tow haul icon in the dash if its activated or not?

i have the pin 71 wiring hooked up to a grounded push button but cant tell the difference when using it and the light never comes on.
    There is a selection in tuner pro for pin 71 activation. I am not at my computer, but it should be in the parameter section under trans. You'll find 3 selections to choose from. Activate pin 71.
    As for the tow/haul light, take a look at this link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...thout-bcm.html

Hope this helps.

Hi Sachem, thank you for the reply,

first of all i fell prey to the broken steering column shifter wiring so i had to test that first, and decided on a new button location.

once i relocated the momentary push button tow haul mode was activated and the truck shifted differently and the indicator lite was coming on and going off in the dash.

i do notice that the indicator light goes out after a few minutes and tow haul is shut off.

all of this is achieved without pin 71 being connected or being enabled for now. i will look at the transmission parameters and see what is set up.
    Live like you're on vacation