Thread: Looking for Help Creating a New OBDII Sticky Thread

Administrator

Looking for Help Creating a New OBDII Sticky Thread

About a month ago I was asked to do work on a 4.8 swapped S10 w/ 4L80E. That was really my first venture into doing anything beyond simple changes using my commercial software and I found the information and files in the OBDII sticky threads to be extremely helpful. Sadly, that info is no longer available.

I'd like to create a new sticky thread to help other folks just starting out. I do not have enough knowledge of OBDII architecture or of OBDII operating systems to rebuild the sticky thread on my own. So I'm asking for folks to help. I know there were a few Operating Systems mentioned in the thread as "universal donors." I also suspect that suitable definition files are available in different locations on the web. On list or off, I'm asking for folks who have used the information previously in the sticky or who have enough knowledge in the area of OBDII to help create a new informational thread to replace the sticky.

And I will mark this post by noting that the smilies appear to be working properly again after uograding the forum software.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    About a month ago I was asked to do work on a 4.8 swapped S10 w/ 4L80E. That was really my first venture into doing anything beyond simple changes using my commercial software and I found the information and files in the OBDII sticky threads to be extremely helpful. Sadly, that info is no longer available.

I'd like to create a new sticky thread to help other folks just starting out. I do not have enough knowledge of OBDII architecture or of OBDII operating systems to rebuild the sticky thread on my own. So I'm asking for folks to help. I know there were a few Operating Systems mentioned in the thread as "universal donors." I also suspect that suitable definition files are available in different locations on the web. On list or off, I'm asking for folks who have used the information previously in the sticky or who have enough knowledge in the area of OBDII to help create a new informational thread to replace the sticky.

And I will mark this post by noting that the smilies appear to be working properly again after uograding the forum software.
    What PCM? Is it DBW or DBC? Vans had both DBC and DBW 4.8Ls backed to 4L80Es from the factory in 03+.

Administrator
    512K 1999 Silverado pcm. Currently using 12212156 OS.

Fuel Injected!
    I think it is the right time for the folks to explore the new tools that are now available for ls1 tuning.

For example the Universal Patcher.

Still someone needs to write a user guide and how to guide.

It takes the guess work of xdf<->OS , donor OS stuff in the past, since it will work with any ls1 file from 97-07.

Fuel Injected!
    Universal Patcher is awesome. I recently used it to repair some checksum errors that I had inadvertently created for myself - worked perfectly. Big however, I completely agree that it needs much better documentation - user guide as mentioned above. But its such a capable program that covers so many things that I would not know where to begin. I pickup tidbits of knowledge but that does not qualify me to become an editor for its Help section.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's