Thread: Hello - How's it going?

Carb and Points!

Hello - How's it going?

Hello,

I'm trying to find "just the right software" to program these two LS engines (stock GM computers) that I have. They are almost identical, cabled and the other is drive by wire but both are 5.3l, one is from a 2002 Silverado 2500HD and the other is from a 2008 Yukon (I believe). They are for LS swapping; one will go into my 65 Impala, and the other will go in my 85 Trans Am. I'm hoping I can get some guidance here.

One thing I need to do is remove the GM Passlock security stuff so I can actually "run" the engines. Then I need to program one for twin turbos (once I get them installed and running).

I'll be creating another thread for all my questions regarding these engines and computers.
    Last edited by Spine; 06-16-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spine View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to find "just the right software" to program these two LS engines (stock GM computers) that I have. They are almost identical, cabled and the other is drive by wire but both are 5.3l, one is from a 2002 Silverado 2500HD and the other is from a 2008 Yukon (I believe). They are for LS swapping; one will go into my 65 Impala, and the other will go in my 85 Trans Am. I'm hoping I can get some guidance here.

One thing I need to do is remove the GM Passlock security stuff so I can actually "run" the engines. Then I need to program one for twin turbos (once I get them installed and running).

I'll be creating another thread for all my questions regarding these engines and computers.

Almost identical but severely different!

The 2002 ECM is a P01 and you can use LS Droid or PCM Hammer to read and write with Tuner Pro RT to actually do the tuning with the proper .xdf file.

The 2008 ECM is (should be) a E38, I believe your only option there will be HP Tuners! I am pretty sure the last year for P59's in truck platforms was 2006 (may be wrong)!

They are completely different units! The PO1 and the E38 do not interchange. The '02 is a 3rd Gen 24x crank signal and the '08 is a 4th gen 58x crank signal.

For your applications without going full aftermarket electronics would be to stick with the P01(aka '0411) as there is allot of support for those across all segments of the LS swap community!

Good Luck!

Louis
    Last edited by trlrider; 06-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

Gearhead-efi link for OBD2 Tuning information: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...2-OBDII-Tuning

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I have PCMHammer v0.17, but it does not connect with any of my OBD2 devices. Can you specify one that you know 'as a fact' works with it? Here's what I currently have:
    1.) ELM327 v2.3 from TOAD (I have both bluetooth and usb devices)
    2.) ELM from FORScan (tried the switch in both positions - HS-CAN and MS-CAN again with both bluetooth and usb devices)
    3.) MINI-VCI J2534 (usb)
    None of those have worked and I'm not sure what else to buy.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Administrator
    I have successfully used VCX Nano with PCMHammer. I purchased the GM version from Amazon.

Fuel Injected!
    I also use the VCX Nano USB wired version and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth ELM327 device but I think the MX+ is what is around for purchase these days.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Holy bummers...

Amazon has them for $119+ USD. Damn, I was hoping for around $20-ish (so I don't have to ask the wife...lol). Looks like this project will be put on the back burner again as I've already put quite a bit of $$ into it and now I "should" have what I need to get it running...till now...unless anyone knows of some software that will pull the BIN from the ECM and burn the modified BIN back using the OBD2 devices I already have...?

Thank you all for the replies.
    Last edited by Spine; 07-15-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I have many many programming devices, this is the cheapest one and use it with its' software as a generic scanner for non GM stuff. OBDLink SX usb version $39.95 including shipping in this ebay ad.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17113931382...MAAOxy-j9SSf8-
    Keep in mind this and other "elm" type devices are extremely slow so make sure your battery is full.
    -Carl

Carb and Points!
    I'll have to look into that one (OBDLink SX). Thank you.

My primary goal is to disable/remove Passlock/VATS(or whatever the security stuff is) from the ECM so I have a running engine. My secondary goal is to edit the fuel tables and timing and set it up for racing in the '85 TA and twin turbos for my '65 Impala.

I also use a bench setup, so I don't have to do any "initial" programming inside the vehicle.

Has anyone had any luck using EFI TunerStudio on a GM ECM? I have a registered version that I used when I was using a custom built ECM for an old rally car I ran.

Administrator
    as anyone had any luck using EFI TunerStudio on a GM ECM? I have a registered version that I used when I was using a custom built ECM for an old rally car I ran.
    Hmm... I believe that software is used for Megasquirt? If so there are technical reasons why that question is not valid. In some ways it is similar to asking "Has anyone had any luck using a map of Dallas to navigate San Francisco?" In other ways it's analogous to "Has anyone had any luck using passenger pigeons to send a fax?" In the first case the information in the GM ecm is not arranged in the same way as the information in Megasquirt. In the second case the method used to deliver information is not the same between the controllers.