Thread: $32 to $6E Conversion, best definition?

Carb and Points!

$32 to $6E Conversion, best definition?

Hi all. Thanks in advanced for any help.

86 Trans am, no mods yet. Will be doing 6E bin, EGR, headers and smog pump delete to start

Over the last month I've been reading and learning about gm obd1 tuning. I have a grasp on it. I've downloaded Tunerpro will donate when I get to actually burning and data logging, currently have no hardware. I've fiddled with a few 6E bins. I'm leaning toward using an APYM bin instead of the ARAP with the extra timing to start out and be safe. I'm confident I've gathered enough info to modify the bin to accommodate my changes.

Now to my question. Is there a definitive definition file I should be using. I've downloaded and checked at least 5 xdfs and every one has a slight difference in the parameters list. The one on here has a flag list that's smaller compared to another, the tables in another seem to be wrong etc.

Second question would be, is there any harm in modifying the bin using multiple 6E xdfs? I've compared a few and the addresses seem to line up.

Any help will be appreciated.

Fuel Injected!
    I cannot answer your question as to which XDF would be best, but I can at least answer most of the rest of your question.

Q: Is there any harm modifying the BIN with multiple different XDFs?
    A: No, with a caveat. If any of the XDFs have an actual incorrect definition that would cause it to write incorrect data, then yes, it would be. But you would need to know what is most incorrect.

The above can be tested by looking at all 5 and judging what parameters line up between the majority. These will likely be correct. Any XDF that has a basic parameter which does not line up with the rest will likely be incorrect. But if the XDF has more parameters defined than the others (and those parameters don't share addresses with parameters defined in other XDFs), then feel free to use those or add them to your XDF of choice. Basically, feel free to create your own XDF based on the 5 you have.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Administrator
    Is there a definitive definition for 6E?
    Unfortunately there never seem to be definitive definitions for software that relies on user contributed files.

Second question would be, is there any harm in modifying the bin using multiple 6E xdfs? I've compared a few and the addresses seem to line up.
    As stated above, there is no problem using multiple definitions providing the definitions are set up correctly. But why not start with a definition that has most of the paramaters you want and add parameter information as you need it? You could use Tunerpro and TunerproRT to open up two different xdf files then copy and paste the information.

Carb and Points!
    Thank you both for your responses. I think I was just over thinking it a bit too much because of the flag list in a particular xdf was so huge. I've compared a few side by side and I'm just going to use the xdf from here (same as on TunerPro site) and paste the AIR related scalars into it from another xdf. That was all I was chasing since I'm deleting the smog pump.

I appreciate the help.