I have had a buddy's '92 1/2T 5spd sitting here for a while that originally needed just a clutch problem fixed, but last summer when we went to start it, #8 cylinder was blowing back through the TB. So we tore it out, and found some bad news. Any way it has been sitting here since, and today we just went a picked up another shortblock, in really good condition, for $100. Well the guy who had it tossed the lifters when he took it out, so now I am trying to decide what to do with it. It supposedly has a cam that is one step above stock, which is kind of what I would like to have in it anyways. Now, I have never used a new set of lifters with an old cam, and I don't think I want to try now. Here is what I see as my options.
1. Pull the cam/lifters out of the original engine and see if they are usable (which may be a possibility), and re-use them. $ = Free
2. Buy new 'stock' cam/lifters and put them in. = ~$100
3. Buy new 'RV' cam/lifters = ~$150
4. Pull-N-Save a set of roller lifters, retainers, spider, then get OEM/RV roller cam. I don't know what the cost of this will be but I am sure most of it will the cam. Does anyone have any advice as to what cam I should look at. And does anyone know of any good deals on GM cams that might work well, for a reasonable price. If I could get a roller cam, even a factory stock one, for around $100 that would be great. If I were to find a Vortec V8 in PnS, would that cam/lifters/retainers/spider work in this engine?

Thanks guys.