Hi Everyone,

This is my first venture into the tuning world and my second post onto this forum. I just purchased the Moates APU1 system and I have the new adapter soldered into my board and I'm ready to burn a BIN file. I'm looking for any warnings or advice on the risk during initial start up with a fresh motor that hs never started and is not broken in.

I have an entire TBI and ignition system from an 88 Suburban that had auto tranny (7747 ECM). I also took the intake manifold. This is installed into my Jeep CJ5 with a Chevy 350 and 4spd manual (1975 motor w/wedge smog heads). I rebuilt the engine with some light upgrades in performance:
  • Bored .030 over
  • Decked block (between boring out and decking the compression should be about 0.5 higher)
  • Low RPM torque cam Summit pt# 1102 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1102)
  • Three angle valve seat job.

Before purchasing the Moates hardware I tried starting it with the stock chip and discovered after much cranking that the injectors were flooding the engine. The base timing is set to 0 degrees. TDC on #1 is correct and verified by hard stop method. The motor will pop off at WOT but then it starts the excess flooded fuel on fire. I verified grounds are all terminated, MAP is going to intake vacuum port in runner. All sensors are hooked up (with exception of VSS).

To trouble shoot the rich condition I decided to purchase the APU1 and just get it running for starters. Then tuning after that. After some struggling I have figured out how to burn a BIN file onto my new chip (I feel like having a party to have gotten this far!). If I had done no mods to the engine I would just install it and try starting again and then start trouble shooting with the logging/scanner capability of TunerProRT version 5.0 that I have. However, since I have mods to the engine described above and the motor is not broken in, is there a risk that a stock tune could damage the engine? This is my #1 question right now.

From what I've read for a beginner programmer like me, making mods to timing and VE tables is not the place to start. At this point I've read a lot. I think it's time to start trying to ask a couple questions before I take the next step. Any comments appreciated!