Thread: failed emissions this morning.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtpoliteness View Post
    If you find it is that cat, and need to replace it, don't leave it in all the time. Have an exhaust shop build a test pipe for you, tell them it's to put in while drag racing or something. The test pipe bolts into the spot where the cat goes normally. It's just a piece of straight pipe. At the performance shop I worked at for a long time we found that aftermarket cats barely last the two years in between tests if you leave them in. I use one in my '91 Jetta. About a week before testing I throw it in, drive it normally, go through my test and then put the test pipe back in. Then, I store the cat until the next test.
    While I agree with your point that aftermarket cats are short lived compared to an OEM cat (which I had highlighted earlier), running your "test pipe" (i.e. no cat) in between E-Test periods is a very unenlightened suggestion.

You are probably too young to remember what parts of California were like in the 1960s and 1970s - the smog was simply awful. Thankfully technology has come a long way since then, and today we have engines producing anywhere from 500 to 700 HP, while still using the OEM cats, and meeting their model year emissions requirements - which are more stringent than the 1992 model year emissions this gentleman must meet.

Removing the cats from vehicles, given the current level of technology, is simply a fool's errand. It is irresponsible actions like these that bring about increasingly restrictive legislation that impacts us all. Every Hot Rod that goes out the door of my shop is equipped with a pair of high quality cats - even if the vehicle is from the 1930s.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-17-2014 at 03:59 PM.