Hey all

Like many of the other posts, I am new to tuning and need some help.

I have a 76CJ5 with a mildly warm 304 and a transplanted a Chevy 305 TBI system.
The computer is a 7747 from DynamicEFI so I can flash on the fly and use TunerPro to make adjustments.
Ignition starts at the GM HEI module -> through a MSD 6A box -> big cap dizzy, thus the computer controls timing as well.
Sensors used are NBO2, knock, CTS and speed.

The motor runs pretty good, but the starter just doesn't want to roll the engine when it is warm, like it has a dead battery. Let things cool down and it starts right up again. One of the guys on a Jeep forum I visit suggests it is the initial timing.

With GM style HEI distributors, it’s almost always too much initial timing.

GM style HEI modules don't have a 'Start' timing retard circuit in them,
So you get full initial advance timing thrown against the ring gear/starter motor.
The cylinders are warm, sealing up good, that raises compression and slows the starter down,
Then the high compression, fuel charged cylinders are simply firing too soon and trying to stop the piston/rod/crank on the 'Up' stroke.

The crank/rods/pistons simply don't have enough speed/momentum to continue over the top of the crank, and the starter motor gets blamed for 'Dragging'...

Earlier this year I tuned my main SA table, I basically kept adding more advance until I saw the knock sensor kicking in and then I would back that area down 2-3 degrees and it really helped add what “feels” like a huge amount of torque. But the warm hard start has been ever present since I put the TBI system on.

My distrib is physically set at 0* and I am pretty sure that is what my “SA-Initial SA” value is set to as well (I’ll double check when I get home from work).

So what setting or table do I need to adjust to make starting the hot engine easier? What data can I post up that would help?

Thanks IA.