Quote Originally Posted by bmalta View Post
maybe I could pitch it another way: A list of programming how to's stating clearly which parameters to set (by address) to what settings (by hex). For example: setting idle, setting open loop idle, dealing with common idle issues, PE mode, Decel Fuel C/O or enleanment, Better fuel economy, better performance, Hiway Mode, etc. I know there have been posts on all of these on this and many good sites, but put together in one place and a final summary for each rather than picking info out of conversations would be awesome! I have a 7747 w/ $42 mask, this seems to be the most common by far, but yet discussions on even the best sites, with the most helpful folks (y'all, 3rd gen, IFSJ etc...) can be confusing because sometimes they refer to TunerCats, sometimes TunerPro, and everyone has their own definition files so parameters are called different things. I've seen the same parameter referred to as a "max" value in one .xdf and a min value in another! Yes, 1project2many this could be a "how to tune".

Once upon a time Custom EFI's started a tuning handbook that attempted this. I have an early copy so it's largely incomplete and in most cases refers to parameters by name as per his TunerCats .ecu file....
That would never work. First every mask is different so can't say set this address, cause address for this is different in every mask. Next every engine is different so can't say set this to 1 because different engine may need 2. Next tuning programs are different, compare list of items in TunerCat for $42 to TunerPro $42 has at least.... I'll be Conservative and say three time more parameters. OK Had to look. TunerCat $42 has about 125 parameters total. TunerPro $42 has 197 in just scalers! About 307 total!

If you have read Custom EFIS handbook all that information can be carried over to TunerPro or any tuner software program, but your right some of the names could change. In TunerPro you can custimize your files to say what you want. All other software you can not. TunerPro can add comments and notes to each paremeter. All other tuning software you can't. This is a main reason it is so widely used! Plus it's cheaper and will do more cars then any other software. And we have a chance of meeting your goals with it!

I guess to summerize the above would be that's why we call it tuning! Every engine is differant, so it needs to be tuned.

Then there are many mechanical things that need to be correct before you start to data log or tune, some things should be turned off to data log and tune. I did start a write up on this.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ate-10-24-2011

So with EFI dictionary in works, starting point for tuning above, we can and will have the next step in a writeup so all things will be in one place. But you'll still have to gain some knowledge to make it work. But I think we can get it all together enough for a beginer to get started.