Thread: Newbie to Tuning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Newbie to Tuning

Hello, as stated in the title I am a newbie getting into tuning. I used to use an outsider for my tuning needs but as I am now needing more and more I feel that it would be more cost effective if I were to learn this trade.. I am currently working on a '95 S10 originally 2.2L that has been swapped to a 4.3L

When I built the 4.3L it was a CPI motor that I later threw the intake and all the spider components in the trash, and opted for the TBI setup for more reliability and no more fuel dumping due to a leaking spider. I know it doesn't get that great fuel mileage, but I can tell you it has a lot more power since swapping the intakes and fuel delivery! This is not my daily driver!

So, here is what I have done and working with - 16197427 ECM, I was able to re-use the CPI harness for the TBI setup. I removed the EGR and used the wire(s) from the tuning valve as my second injector wire (plus re-pinned the ECM cavity). I have ordered from Moates.com a Burn 2, HDR1 adapter as well as a few SST 27SF512 chips. I have been "googling" for several days while waiting on my stuff to arrive and ran across a question that I want to get clarified.. I plan on replacing the factory EPROM with an EEPROM and have seen that some say the 27SF512 chips will work and some say they don't? I was under the impression that since you are replacing the entire chipset with a compatible but better one, the computer wouldn't know what was in there?? Clarifying what I am asking.. There are several memcals that my dad and I picked up from the junkyard that have different factory EPROM's and saw that when ordering the '512 chips some were compatible and some not?

Anyway that is what I am doing in a nutshell, anyone feel free to comment or ask questions and I will gladly try to answer them as best as I can..
    Last edited by juavos00; 04-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.