I spent the winter building a 383 for my 85 IROC Z. I bought the car new when I graduated from college and had always intended to keep it stock. After getting my doors blown off by a Solstice GXP, I had to do something. So I built the 383 with a donor block from the local junk yard. I think I did well. Here is my parts list. (Did keep the TPI, That’s why I am here now)
trick flow 195 heads,
Edlebrock TPI intake base, SLP runners, 58 mm BBK throttle body, roller cam
with rockers yield (intake /exhaust lift 0.560” lift with 219/225 duration at
0.050”, lobe center 112), compression is 10.2/1, 28.2 # injectors, BBK
adjustable pressure regulator. All induction is polished. Plenum is
opened up to max and intake base was also ported, Edlebrock Shorty headers,
magnaflow cat and 3” cat back exhaust. Rear end is 3.42 posi
with a 700R4 trans.
That’s my baseline. I have been playing with the $F program for awhile now and am at the point of wanting to start scanning. I understand the 870 EMC with a 160 baud transmission rate has limitations with scanning. So I bought a 1227165 EMC and a memcal adapter and the $32 def file. They came in today. The ECM was to come with a PROM, but now I am told I was mislead. So my problem is where to get a mem-cal for my car. The 86 Camaro equipped like mine can use anyone one of five different part numbers according to my GM parts manual. (3236AUM, 8958AMU, 8969ANB,8980ANY or 8993AUM). Does anyone know where to get one? Also I will be looking for tuning advice. I have TunerCat software. There a several tables I don't fully understand. I'll ask those questions latter after I get a prom and can actually use the new ECM.