Thread: fuel pump circuit LT1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

fuel pump circuit LT1

94 Z28 LT1 swap into 79 Malibu.

I'm planning out the fuel pump and relay wiring. In the 79 Malibu, I'll be using the under hood power dist block from the Z28 including the cooling fan relays and related wiring. I'll also be powering the PCM from fuses in this block.

The block has positions for 6 relays, three of which will be for fan relays. Now, the Z28 factory setup for fuel pump circuit wiring has the FP relay under the dash and I have all that including the wiring on hand. However, I'm thinking of just using one of the available relay positions in the main dist block for a FP relay and wiring.

The stock Z28 FP relay that was put under the dash by GM is a physically larger relay manufactured by Hella. The relays that fit in the dist block under the hood are physically smaller and manufactured by Potter & Brumfield. I know that both of these relay types can perform the same function if properly wired.

Here's my question: Can I get reliable function as FP relay from the physically smaller Potter & Brumfield that I would locate in the dist block, or, is there a reason I should stick with the physically larger Hella relay and mount it somewhere outside of the dist block. (larger Hella relay case design will not plug into the dist box).
    Attached Images Attached Images