So cylinder select... that could be my problem. If it thinks I have a 6 cyl then my injection pulses will be off. So fewer pulses would solve the riddle on why I'm needing to tweak my flow rate and engine size parameters so much. So I at least need a V8 memcal. Seems like a logical enough reason to swap memcals.
Well, it's not quite that way. The ecm will still deliver injector pulses and spark pulses. The challenge is in how the ecm uses the information. If a V8 engine is spinning at 2000 RPM it's generating 4000 pulses per minute. A v6 engine at the same speed is generating 3000 pulses in a minute. So if the ecm is programmed for a v6 and it sees 4000 pulses in a minute, that's going to look like almost 3000 rpm to the ecm. Now you want to go in and add fuel or change spark advanced, what rpm is appropriate to make changes? If you're using the scantool data you'll see the same rpm as the ecm. But if you're using a tachometer then you're in the wrong place.

One good question, is the ecm actually using the code? Is the check engine light telling you that the chip is good?