Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a better $8D

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    To make catigories go to XDF, View/Edit Header Info, then look for catigory tab to add catigories.

To place item in catigory right click the paremeter, Edit Paremeter XDF info and choose a catigory you made ealier.
    Ok, I did this on a couple catigories, but didnt get the result I was looking for. It appears when I do that, it puts them into folders that you have to click on to open.
    What I am wanting to do is have them spaced out and seperated by titled headers or whatever you want to call them. Just like has been done in 0D/0E. It looks like its simply just a blank parameter that has been added in. You can click on them and you can right click and the address of all of them is always 0x00.
    So would you simply go and add a new parameter and put the address as 0x00, then just add whatever title and discription you want, and then place it between parameters to seperate them into groups? Would that also be how you add a "read me"?

I have got most all the scalers renamed (ones that needed, or I wanted to anyways) And any parameter I changed either the name of, or comment, I added a * at the end of the name, so someone can come back and proof read everything. I also have them put in a little better order. Still have flags and tables to do.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    ^ correct, that is how most/all of us do it. just create dummy scalars/flags/tables.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

OK, I have gotten everything straightened out, grouped together in labeled groups, and some of the names changed to make it more user friendly. Also added or added to several parameter comments. Anything I either renamed, or added comments to, I added a * next to it, that way someone can double check it and I can keep up with what I did. Been working between 1-2 hours a day on this since mark posted up that xdf.

I have come now to adding parameters thats in other files, but not this one. I have added a few so far. I would look at the address, find it in the hack, double check its there and correct, then copy and paste. Any parameter I have added by doing this, I have added a ** next to it. I have however found parameters in the hack thats not in the xdf's I have, that would be good to have (like last night I added a couple DFCO parameters) but saw a couple more in the hack I would like to add. So how would I go about adding these? After fooling around with this a bit, I can figure out the address, however how do you know what size the thing is? I notice in the edit parameter box, theres size (1, 2, or 4 bytes) How does one know what to enter there? Some parameters I have looked at (working on scalers right now) some are 1 byte, others are two.
    I have figured out that "significant digits" is how the value is displayed. With "1" it would display like 1200, where "2" would display as 1200.00. Also found out that "units overide" is what will display next to the value. Enter "degrees" and that will be next to the value showing that the value is in degrees.
    So If adding a new parameter (like said, I'm working on scalers right now), how do you know the bit size? Is that in the hac too?

Also, are there any other hacs out there other than the one in the $8D thread? Some of comments on what the parameters are, are very poor, and most of them use abbreviations that I have no clue what they are trying to say.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Hey 1project2many, I noticed in the pics you posted in post #29, that your xdf has v03 on it. Is this a xdf thats been added to or had better comments added? I am looking for as many 8d xdf's as I can find so I can compare them, and add all good ones together and try and get as many good comments and parameters as I can. Just wondering if you might share it, if its something diffrent than whats avalable here or elsewhere.

Same for anyone else, if you have any 8d xdf's you use, I would like to look at them so I can compare them and get everything all into one.

Administrator
    I have no idea what's what with TP or defs. I download defs when and where I find them when someone asks a question and I need to open a cal in TP to give an answer. If you want to see the $8DE I used then you're welcome to it. I'll try to upload it later tonight.

Parameter size from HAC:
    FCB = "Form Constant Byte" = one byte.
    FDB = "Form Double Byte" = two bytes.

Also can look at addressing:

L8006 Checksum
    L8008 ECM Id Byte
    L8009 Num Cyls

Notice the Two byte increment at the checksum and the one byte increment at the ID byte.

You're not likely to see 4 byte values in OBDI GM Land.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    You're not likely to see 4 byte values in OBDI GM Land.
    oddly enough, you can run across 3 byte values though, at least in the northstar cals(trans fluid life monitor).

Administrator
    Northstar pcm really was the beginning of a new generation.

What is CARS, and what is SAM?

Super Moderator
    CARS = computer aided ratio selection.... also known as a forced 1-4 upshift.... also known as OMGWTFANNOYING.

SAM = stay-alive memory. when you key off, a lot of stuff is forever lost, but certain things are retained by battery voltage, mostly learned IAC and fuel trim settings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    OMGWTFANNOYING.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    that's the first thought that pops into mind.

relatively light on the throttle, going to upshift out of 1st, computer's reaction: HAHAHA, 4TH GEAR, DO IT NOW OR I MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE AN EVEN LESS COMPETENT DRIVER!!!

Seriously I busted a gut on that and the wife heard me from shop and wanted to know what the heck was so funny!

Amazing what can be programmed into these ECM/PCM for evil... if only they would have used their knowledge for good of mankind... WAIT! Then we would have nothing to do...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    WAIT! Then we would have nothing to do...
    Except buy lots of rear tires
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Super Moderator
    this properly conveys my thoughts on it.

Administrator
    I've read about European heavy trucks that are automatic manuals... Manual transmission that is computer shifted using air solenoids. OE's are working their butts off trying to design automatic trans with minimal fluid but really this is a more cost effective answer imo. And to make life easire add a torque converter like Chrysler did in the '50s. Can idle in gear that way.