Thread: 5.3L Auto to Manual swap advice

Electronic Ignition!

5.3L Auto to Manual swap advice

I've done a lot of searching and reading but can't find a more or less updated and definitive guide. Hoping that we can come up with a consolidated guide to swap from an Auto transmission to a Manual transmission. I'd like to keep this first part geared towards non-paid programs(Universal Patcher), stock vehicles, and OS bins posted here. If you can reiterate why this change needs made and what the setting is under in Universal Patcher I'll add it to a list.

What order or other changes need to be made to the Calibrations for a manual swap? I see talk of these snippets:
    • take a 5.3 auto trans tune and do the following[disable trans diag, disable torque mgmt, copy idle speeds, raise base airflow] -bobcratchet555
    • One of the challenges I've noticed with a custom manual 5.3 flash is the Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) parameters. Automatic transmission vs. manual transmission requires very different DFCO parameters -dave w
    • [RPM limiting to 1600] i have had exactly the same experience with that tune, or any time i try to segment swap a 5.3 with manual -bobcratchet555
    • decel stall could be a combo of air and timing. Idle and low RPM timing control is setup pretty different from auto to manual. -Skinny Pedal
    • Edit the 4.8 to 5.3 and scale the idle airflows. Use the 5.3 VE. Use what ever timing you like. Keep all the parts associated with the manual. Leave the throttle cracker and follower alone. Do not do an engine segment swap or you will write over the important manual parts. -Skinny Pedal

Here's where I stand currently with my swap '5.3L DBW NV3500 4wd(manual t-case) OS 12593058':
    1. Read Entire PCM(or download) [A]2003 Silverado 5.3L DBW 4l60e 4wd OS 12593058 bin
    2. Read Entire PCM(or download) [B]2003 Sierra 4.8L DBW NV3500 2wd OS 12593058 bin
    3. Deleted VATS
    4. Segment swapped Trans Cal and Diag from [A] to [B] - this is wrong?
    5. {?Manual changes?}
    Last edited by Sandman614; 1 Week Ago at 05:40 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Best way to swap from 5.3L auto to manual is start with a 4.8L or 6.0L manual file of the same year then tune the engine part of the calibration for a 5.3L. There are many differences in the engine cal that originates as an auto vs a manual that you just don't get deleting the auto trans stuff in the transmission segments.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xls1 View Post
    Best way to swap from 5.3L auto to manual is start with a 4.8L or 6.0L manual file of the same year then tune the engine part of the calibration for a 5.3L. There are many differences in the engine cal that originates as an auto vs a manual that you just don't get deleting the auto trans stuff in the transmission segments.
    Could you elaborate further? I've seen "the copy/paste marathon" mentioned many times but don't see what parameters I should be looking for. I'm sure there are 4.8L and 6.0L engine parameters that should be changed. Are the manual parameter names specific to each OS? Or just their memory location in the code? What other parameters don't do anything like changing the transmission type?
    Last edited by Sandman614; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Poking around more with Universal Patcher I pulled a difference file between my two bins. Hoping we can look at this and highlight what 5.3L parameters should be copied to the 4.8L manual bin.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
    Poking around more with Universal Patcher I pulled a difference file between my two bins. Hoping we can look at this and highlight what 5.3L parameters should be copied to the 4.8L manual bin.
    The .csv is not easily read.

I've helped with a few custom 5.3 manual files. Engine segment swaps are helpful for some, not me. Segment swaps are basically coping someone's homework that get a passing grade, but not 100% accurate.

I start with the 4.8 manual file. I change as few parameters as possible for fuel, air and spark.
    For example:
    Displacement is changed from 4.8 to 5.3.
    Fuel tables and injector parameters from the 5.3 are copy / pasted into the 4.8.
    MAF tables from the 5.3 are copy / pasted into the 4.8.
    Spark tables from the 5.3 are copy / pasted into the 4.8.

Not Helpful.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

I've helped with a few custom 5.3 manual files. Engine segment swaps are helpful for some, not me. Segment swaps are basically coping someone's homework that get a passing grade, but not 100% accurate.

I start with the 4.8 manual file. I change as few parameters as possible for fuel, air and spark.
    For example:
    Fuel tables and injector parameters from the 5.3 are copy / pasted into the 4.8.

Not Helpful.jpg
    The bins I have are fresh stock ACdelco SPS2 copies, so hoping to not copy someones homework. Opening the CSV as a spreadsheet makes it far easier to read than just a text editor. My hope is that we can come up with a mostly exhaustive list of parameters to copy/change. There are 585 differences between these 2 bins. I've been adding the descriptions from Universal Patcher to help me understand what the parameters do. Once I/we are done with this I want to post the final difference results so that hopefully anyone can look at this and apply it to their OS. If you want to take any time here is a link with commenting permissions(right click the cell to leave a comment).

Viewing and Commenting link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Sandman614; 1 Week Ago at 05:09 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

For example:

Not Helpful.jpg
    Take this advise.Although unless the 5.3 is a flex fuel the injectors will be the same, Both use the same MAF so the table will be the same. Change the cylinder volume, the VE Table, and the spark tables. It will run fine. A lot of the differences you are seeing have to do with being a manual calibration vs a auto, not because of the engine size. Don't over complicate it. Once those changes are made you can start tuning it like any other vehicle. Sorry I can't teach how to tune on a forum.