Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: data logging question

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Anything marked Hack only works if you applied the hack to bin from Parameters in XDF file.

Folders are there for hacks that have to be applied for BPW, Injector Duty Cycle and Spark Advance to work and stuff to turn off for data logging.

Fix your thermostat.
    I see the tables but am not sure how you apply them...or to turn things off for data logging. I am thinking I have the wrong temp sending unit in because my mechanical water temp was reading 200-215F when the sensor was reading 156F.

Also I have been looking around trying to see where I would take things out of the bin. such as EGR, KNK etc. Did I miss some suggested reading? I have been reading every thread I come across that deals with this (or at least think all of them), I have watched the youtube videos on getting started logging data, I hate to bother you guys with these noob questions but feel like a kid at a candy store with this tuning stuff...addicting

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I think the .bin file needs to be edited? See screen shots below.

dave w
    Ok I found the spark advance hack as well as the BPW hack, when the dialog box opened I saved them?? Not sure if that is what I needed to do or was I to open the Hex editor and change the values that you changed and then hit save?

Just do what they say, don't use TPS% unless you have a reason. The BPW and Spark Advance can be left on.

Click on Spark Advance hack and change 00BA to 0067, save, done.

Click on BPW hack and To datalog BPW change the address from D002D003 to 00AB00AC.

Hover over an item for discription or open Paremeter comments.

You've got an IH engine right? The temp sender needs to be in hole under thermatat housing where it gets water flow all the time. If you put it in the back of intake it reads wrong tempreture.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yeah its an IH engine, I have the temp sender in the thermostat housing...

Now on to a total noob question...all the parameters I just changed, do I need to burn a chip and use that for the data logging or do I log more data and continue to save it to the file from this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_crawler View Post

Now on to a total noob question...all the parameters I just changed, do I need to burn a chip and use that for the data logging or do I log more data and continue to save it to the file from this morning?
    Each time you burn a new chip, go ahead and install the new chip that was just burned, then data log to see what the new chip changed in the data log.

dave w

In housing above thermastat = wrong.

In bypass below thermastat = correct.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    In housing above thermastat = wrong.

In bypass below thermastat = correct.
    I was just about to state the same as Eaglemark.

I know of a couple conversions where this exact scenario caused tremendous issues, especially the transition from cold start to full temperature run parameters.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

I know of a couple conversions where this exact scenario caused tremendous issues, especially the transition from cold start to full temperature run parameters.
    Any suggestions? Should I change the location of the sensor?

Is it here? Leave it alone.

Is it somewhere else? Probably needs changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

I have attached the pic of my sender...in looking at your suggestion I would say it could stay put?? Anyway, I am pretty jacked right now...burned my first chip put it in drove it logged more data...and now I don't know what to do. I am also attaching the third adl file I logged.

It has a bad hesitation off idle, I have to drop it down into low to take off from a stop sign. Besides that there was a noted improvement, I was really over-thinking things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

The location looks good, but it's not installed as well as it needs to be.

The probe of the sender will be quite removed from the flow of coolant and will report false temperatures, usually too cold with a set-up like that.

The probe of the sender really needs to be IN the flow of coolant to work effectively.

You will either need to drill teh intake and re-tap for the correct size of the sender, move to a different location, where it will be in teh coolant flow, but as close to where it is now (just before thermostat is ideal), or find another sender with the correct thread for your intake, but also have the same transfer function (temp vs resistance scale) as the GM sender.

You now need to identify what is causing the hesitation, is it a lack of fuel, too much fuel, spark advance not correct, or some other factor, and adjust accordingly.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Ok, makes sense...I will take a look at getting that temp sender reinstalled. I guess now is when I get to learn how to tune, right. At what point do I enable the parameters that I disabled to log data?

Ok, makes sense...I will take a look at getting that temp sender reinstalled. I guess now is when I get to learn how to tune, right. At what point do I enable the parameters that I disabled to log data?
    If you disabled the ones in Turn off for data logging? You turn them back on when your done with VE table. Don't touch Lean Cruise unless you have installed the patch.

I can't see behind the spark plug wire? But I'm with Six Shooter, it looks to high like it is in an adapter? Adapter keeps the sensor tip out of flow and that's why your reading cold.

-= =-

Your BLMs look good. But you keep going BLM Learn Off at idle. It looks like you choose a open loop idle bin file. What is it? BCC code? Unless you have a big cam there's no reason for it and those Open Loop Idle bins suck! Start over with ASDU...

Install the BPW and Spark advance hack, burn new chip and it will be in data.

-= =-

I downloaded my Bin from this forum, under the 1227747 ECM Information $42 thread. I did keep an original, should I just reload that and start over? Or should I download it again from the site? Could I have enabled the open loop idle??