Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Initial COP conversion testing is a success.

I have 6 Ford COP coils that I believe are from a 4.6L

I wired up paired cylinders in series, connected them to the GM V6 DIS ICM (A 3100 ICM to be exact), it fired over no problem, and ran very well.

I know my plug wires are old, but I think they may be in worse off than I thought. When I had the COP coils on there my AFR was very lean. I swapped back to the conventional DIS coils and my AFR got very rich, what I'm used to seeing, and had more difficulty cranking over, like I've seen a few times now.

Looks like I will be making coil bracket tomorrow. :D
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    so you basically converted the classic 60V6 DIS ICM into a COP ICM? neat.

i've considered doing something similar for the 93-99 northstars to give them the 00+ system, but i always got hung up on something.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yep, using the DIS ICM to trigger 6 individual coils.

Once I get the bracket made, I can make a proper harness and leave it in. :D

I'm thinking about modifying the ICM itself to make it smaller since I won't need the size anymore.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I remember us talking about that in one of the northstar dis threads. I think trying to find the ohm reading of other coils was as far as we got. I think we were looking at for and mopar coils.
    If I ever get around to installing my northstar dis and get it up and running/working like it should, converting it to cop like you just did was my plan. Nice to know its working! I assume since its working with the V6 icm, the same coils should work with the V8.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I had this same plan,was gonna do it on a 2.5 duke to confirm and then go ahead and convert all mine.
    I've got a bag full of COP's from when I worked at Ford that I kept for doing this.
    Pretty easy circuit to build :)
    When they fail they rarely go out,they will just fail under load and misfire most generally.

if you need a couple extra to play with let me know,i've prob got 10+ and can get more.

Fuel Injected!
    Robert that ve comp table in tp is the same as the bpw constant vs air flow vs egr is in tuner cats. been play with the numbers got my information the same as my basic pulse with 181 in tp, try it out here after while, - or + .01 makes a lot of differents with the egr employed

Super Moderator
    usually, that would be referred to as BPC vs %EGR then. smaller numbers will deliver less fuel.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E