Quote Originally Posted by Nasty-Z View Post
Dave ,

I know this is a thread drift , but can you enlighten me on the down sides of using a cylindrical oil filled (points type?) coil in a TBI setup ? I assume the oil filled cylindrical coils are the ones you are refeering to ? Or do you mean the original points coils used without a ballast resistor ?

I have used the socket cap and HEI style oil filled cylindeer coils (aftermarket) for years with TBI conversions , I believe it was Rbob on Thirdgen ( think that is where I read it...) that said one time they were more resilient and durable than the epoxy filled or OEM style coils.

Just curious is all , maybe something I need to look further at ?

The 350/454 TBI deal is a good one , seen that one myself .......

Thanks

TOM
Tom,

I don't see advantages to using a 350 Throttle Body (rated at about 535 CFM) on a 454 engine that the factory equipped with a throttle body rated at about 670 CFM. I was thinking, "Believe it or not this ran". I was thinking a "Professional Conversion" would be to install a throttle linkage with a 700R4 TV Cable Bracket onto the 670 CFM 454 Throttle Body.

I'll admit the oil filled cylindrical point type coil was a head ache. At first I did not think or consider that the oil filled cylindrical point type coil would be the cause of the erratic timing. I actually called Mark to confirm / deny the coil could be an issue. Mark confirmed the point coils have issues with TBI electronics. I'm not sure why the old point type did not work. In both instances, I don't remember if the ballast resistance had been removed from the coil circuits. In both instances, installing a TBI coil fixed the erratic spark timing! In both instances, the TBI coils were installed without any ballast resistance. When all was done a said, I was thinking "Believe it or not this ran".

dave w