Thread: How does a Torque Converter work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    What's interesting to me is the development of the auto trans from early days of manual + fluid coupling to today with electronic controls. Thinking about how to apply a series of clutches in the best manner, how to physically place them in the transmission for best packaging... there's a *lot* of engineering involved even when the result isn't a good trans.

The holy grail has been for years a completely dry automatic and it may be coming in the form of manual transmissions with computer actuated clutch and gearshift. This is already done in Europe and on some heavy trucks here although the "row your own" guys can't stand them. But with the CAFE numbers heading up, the manual wins the game in terms of overall efficiency.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    What's interesting to me is the development of the auto trans from early days of manual + fluid coupling to today with electronic controls. Thinking about how to apply a series of clutches in the best manner, how to physically place them in the transmission for best packaging... there's a *lot* of engineering involved even when the result isn't a good trans.

The holy grail has been for years a completely dry automatic and it may be coming in the form of manual transmissions with computer actuated clutch and gearshift. This is already done in Europe and on some heavy trucks here although the "row your own" guys can't stand them. But with the CAFE numbers heading up, the manual wins the game in terms of overall efficiency.
    Indeed, the "dry-autos" are neat. Using a dry-dual clutch setup instead of a torque converter is an interesting take as well. Ill have to find the article I read and post it. It disengages while at a stop and re-engages upon take-off, much like the hybrid cars kill the engine at a stop. With the advent of 7,8,9, and 10 speed auto transmissions my job gets more interesting every day.
    I've been in the transmission industry for almost as long as I've been turning wrenches and to see how far things have come just in the last 20 years, heck the last decade, it's mind boggling. All very good ideas, most just a poor execution of the ideas usually by way of less than ideal materials.

Ok, enough of my ranting. Have a great day everyone and Happy Spring!!

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!