Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I'm thinking the original ECM was 16171199. The wiring diagrams for ECM's 1227747, 1228747, and 16171199 are nearly identical. I would tune the 1228747.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-4F

dave w
There is a guy on 454ss who seems to really know 454 TBI trucks who said I should expect to have the 8747 in it as well. Between that and brian617, I wonder if the link you provided (I had already seen it which is why I wondered if I had a different ECM) is incorrect or incomplete?

Anyway, the reason I'm considering replacing the ECM is because of a problem I'm having with the engine stalling anytime the engine compartment gets hot enough. I admit that since the ECM isn't in the engine compartment, that's kinda grasping at straws, but that's the point I'm at now.

Anytime the engine compartment is warm (idling for awhile on a hot day) it starts idling erratically and then it finally stalls. When I try to re-start it is very difficult to get it to start.

It's very difficult to diagnose because I cannot make it do it with the hood open and the air cleaner off. I think it would idle all day in 110 degree weather with the hood open and the air cleaner off so that I can watch injectors and spark while it happens.

If I make it happen with the hood closed and then quickly remove the air cleaner and install a spark tester and try to restart it, it has spark but the fuel flow from the injectors is not the same as it would be on a normal start. You can see the spray but it's just very light. I have had the throttle body rebuilt and injectors tested and balanced by SPR Performance (tbiparts.com run by dctrumpet on thirdgen.org). I have also installed a fuel pressure gauge at the back of the throttle body and it is always between 11 and 14 pounds, (usually about 13). There are no codes (other than an occasional code 43 which just started happening for some reason). The entire ignition system is new, meaning new loaded distributor, new plugs, new wires, new coil (all OEM parts). I set the timing with the wire disconnected. A compression test reveals about 125 PSI which is withing standards for the L19 which came from the factory with pretty low compression.

So I guess I'm down to wondering if there is a wiring problem or if the ECM is bad. Hence my question in the other thread about how to test the ground wires in particular.

Anyway, it's been a challenge. Between wanting to tune it after I finally get it figure out and the possibility that the ECM (dctrumpet suggested that the injector drivers in the ECM could be flaky) is causing problems, I'm considering switching ECM's. Hence my question as to which one would be good for this truck.

Another consideration is that I could imagine someday wanting to put a 4L80E in it. I think that would lead me quite directly to the 7060 ECM, but I'm not sure how likely that is. I do like 5 forward gears, but I've had enough clutch problems that I wouldn't mind getting rid of that headache as well.