Thread: Running a 454 with a 350 bin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    I've asked the questions I have in order to try and figure out the starting point but apparently I am too dense to determine where that point is from these responses. Sorry if I am frustrating. :) I appreciate your responses thus far man! Thanks.
    Not a problem. Plenty of us here are very busy. May I suggest using just one thread?

at WOT can I use the O2 sensor to give an Idea of rich/lean condition (again- only during WOT)?
    Yes, but...
    There's much more than WOT to be worried about. Excess spark advance can take out a set of rod bearings at low load. Sustained lean operation can cause piston surfaces to burn away without ever getting above 1/2 throttle. Most times it's easy to spot a problem but not always. Does your engine use a knock sensor? If not, consider it a necessity and install one. Then use your logging software to watch knock counts, BLM, INT, and O2 values to try and catch problems. But remember: All you're trying to do is keep the engine from blowing up before you get the correct cal. The best approach would be to park the vehicle until the right cal is obtained.

Fuel Injected!
    OK.

thanks for the advice. I have a knock sensor and it is working. So is your recommendation (if I do this all on my own)- to start by opening two TunerPro sessions and copying all the fuel and spark tables from a $0E bin (454 with 4L80) into a $0D (350 with 4L60) … then start it up, idle it, and post a log? Is this the best way to start then?

And change cylinder volume and injector size as well.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7581[/ATTACH]d_350.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]7582[/ATTACH]e_454.jpg
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 08-03-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    Yes. Open both calibrations in simultaneous instances of tunerpro and copy tables. Look at the constants as well and grab everything that doesn't seem to be a transmission variable. If you have questions about tables with dissimilar names or if you find a variable without a matching counterpart in the opposite cal, research it, post the question, etc. The definition files for this pcm are very good with notes so you've got a head start on a successful conversion.

As you get deeper into this project you might want to explore the idea of enabling factory torque management. Your 7.4 exceeds the 60 rating of the trans.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks. I've got a pretty high tech 4L60 at the moment but would still like to learn more about what is meant by factory torque management. Thanks for the pointers.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Yes. Open both calibrations in simultaneous instances of tunerpro and copy tables. Look at the constants as well and grab everything that doesn't seem to be a transmission variable. If you have questions about tables with dissimilar names or if you find a variable without a matching counterpart in the opposite cal, research it, post the question, etc. The definition files for this pcm are very good with notes so you've got a head start on a successful conversion.

As you get deeper into this project you might want to explore the idea of enabling factory torque management. Your 7.4 exceeds the 60 rating of the trans.

Another question, tuner pro has the compare bins feature and allows you to copy differences from one bin to the other of only items defined in the xdf. Is it a bad idea to use this capability to copy the 7.4L items from a 0e mask into the 350 chip? Maybe it won't work bc you can only specify one xdf?

Administrator
    Compare looks at it byte by byte. If two different masks use the same tables with the same values but they're at different places in the cal, compare would not indicate that the tables match.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

What needs to be done between chip's to reset things… for example, should the BLM's be reset between logging runs with different chips somehow?

Thanks!!