Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just spent all day sunday instaling a new water heater in the house.

Its in a small box/cubby hole in my closet. Went in ther to get a shirt and smelled a musty smell, felt the floor around the heater box and carpet is soaking wet. I mean squishy wet.
    Long story short, thing rusted out from the inside. Old one had in/out on the side, new one is on top. Had to do some plumbing, but I did install valves on both the inlet and outlet of the new pipes I ran. Just thinking ahead.

Now I am just trying to dry out the carpet. I vaccumed out as much as I possiably could. I have a fan in there now and just bought some moisture absorber things to hang in there to try and soak up the moisture in the air as it comes out of the carpet.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    I just found out that the guy who "accidentally" stole my Chevelle engine then offered me a good race engine in trade screwed me over twice. I pulled the Bowtie heads off the race engine to sell them and found one head has an external crack that was fiberglassed closed and painted, and the other head had a bent exhaust valve and water damage from a failed head gasket. The block isn't the high nickel block most of the race guys are looking for and I don't recognize the rods, either. And the oil pump has been removed for a dry sump app which may mean modifications have been made to the oil galleys. Now I'm wondering if my plan to use the shortblock with a set of Vortec heads is worth any more than the scrap value of the block. So much for the guys on the race team sticking together after the car owner died.

Oh, I feel the pain of a failed water heater. We once came home after a 3 day weekend to find the cold water line had split and destroyed flooring and sheetrock in several rooms. Glad you were able to catch yours before major damage and expense. Tip: Calcium Chloride, sometimes sold as "Ice Melter," poured into a plastic bowl will draw moisture out of the air.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 02-01-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    I repair homes for a living and I've seen enough that I never leave on a trip without shutting down the hot water heater and water supply to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    I repair homes for a living and I've seen enough that I never leave on a trip without shutting down the hot water heater and water supply to the house.
    I've been waiting to get up one morning and walk by the water heater and get wet feet for years, water heater was 21 years old! Just got an on demand water heater installed, 98% efficient new heater 95% efficeint, now I have a $6000 mortgage on my paid for house.... Old water heater was so full of sediment I had to air up tires on my hand truck and took three guys to get it out of house it was so heavy...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I think this one was about 12 years old, according to a hand written date on the wall inside the box in the closet.
    Things are slowly starting to dry out, but now the pipe feeding water into the toilet in the small bathroom is leaking and has soaked the carpet in there!!!!
    IS IT EVER GONNA END
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    21 years! Thats an old heater, amassing that some of them last so long. The average is 10 to 15 years. Your gonna like the new on demand system.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I think this one was about 12 years old, according to a hand written date on the wall inside the box in the closet.
    Things are slowly starting to dry out, but now the pipe feeding water into the toilet in the small bathroom is leaking and has soaked the carpet in there!!!!
    IS IT EVER GONNA END
    Yeah you'll catch up, lifes a bitch sometimes. Then get some linoleom or anything other than carpet for a bathroom...

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    21 years! Thats an old heater, amassing that some of them last so long. The average is 10 to 15 years. Your gonna like the new on demand system.
    Got good water up here! Replaced the heater units about 6 years ago and tried clearing the corrosion around them but I think it was full of sediment then.

On demand is a little slower to get hot water but after that it never ends! No more quick showers! Waiting to see what the utility bills do when we get a full month in. Nice thing about this new heater is the drop in filter, no more cleaning a foam pad. Wife said she already noticed way less dust in house. One side of the AC coil in cabinet had a 1/4 inch layer of dust on it almost like a felt pad and peeled off. Spent a good amount of time cleaning the entire coil. Man the wind blows around the house now with that free flowing. That alone has got to help AC in summer...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I just found out that the guy who "accidentally" stole my Chevelle engine then offered me a good race engine in trade screwed me over twice. I pulled the Bowtie heads off the race engine to sell them and found one head has an external crack that was fiberglassed closed and painted, and the other head had a bent exhaust valve and water damage from a failed head gasket. The block isn't the high nickel block most of the race guys are looking for and I don't recognize the rods, either. And the oil pump has been removed for a dry sump app which may mean modifications have been made to the oil galleys. Now I'm wondering if my plan to use the shortblock with a set of Vortec heads is worth any more than the scrap value of the block. So much for the guys on the race team sticking together after the car owner died.
    I really hate when that happens...

Hard to find righteous friends anymore... worse in todays economy... forget strangers... I have gone to look at some things for sale that people just lie right to your face even after you point out they are full of poop to begin with and just wasted my time. People are desperate, times are hard. We just had two burgleries in our neiborhood. First ones since I've been here in 15 years...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Just spent all day sunday instaling a new water heater in the house.

Its in a small box/cubby hole in my closet. Went in ther to get a shirt and smelled a musty smell, felt the floor around the heater box and carpet is soaking wet. I mean squishy wet.
    Long story short, thing rusted out from the inside. Old one had in/out on the side, new one is on top. Had to do some plumbing, but I did install valves on both the inlet and outlet of the new pipes I ran. Just thinking ahead.

Now I am just trying to dry out the carpet. I vaccumed out as much as I possiably could. I have a fan in there now and just bought some moisture absorber things to hang in there to try and soak up the moisture in the air as it comes out of the carpet.
    I hate when that happens...

-= =-