Quote Originally Posted by KeyAir View Post
Thanks for the input Guys.
So... let me understand this...
I can use either of the TBI units I have with similar results, but need a different ECU to control the 4L80E?
Reading the responses... I "could" fit either and "update" the system later?
If I do this swap... can I expect any performance/economy gains?
Any advantage in using an Edelbrock TBI intake manifold over the OEM intake?
Yes, you can use any 454 TBI setup but the early controllers are engine only. You could use the older setup then upgrade later, but the guys doing the smog checking most likely couldn't visually tell the difference between any of the gm OBDI ECMs, so I wouldn't let that be the only thing stopping me. Then again I don't live there, so they may be smarter than I give em credit for.

The eddy intake is a ton lighter than the stock intake, there is no adapter donut (one less gasket to leak), it flows a bit better, and it will come up to temp quicker, which is good for running quality and emissions. I would do the smog setup from a 1990, use the 3764, the banks pack, make sure everything mechanical is in good shape, and see if I could find a tune from a motorhome of that era as a baseline.

Thing about something that big, you can bolt 50hp and 50lb/ft of tq on that engine, and it would be hard to tell. That said, if it's right, with a carefully tuned spark table and the mods you already have, it should run down the highway with more authority for sure. Swap over to that 4L80E and you'll be in heaven.