Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
Although there is differences between ms and extra it shouldn't be hard to get it idle. When you talk about bypass I will assume you are using a hei 7 or 8 module. With the bypass disconected set your initial to 10 advance. If everything else is correct it should run and idle. Once that is working you can proceed with setting the reference angle and that is done differently for different firmware but in extra go to fixed timing and do reference until it matches. This is from memory. I have two cars running ms and the setting can be different. I mostly fool with gm 6395 and 7427 although one of my cars has both gm and ms.
myburb,

Thanks for the info. I have the hei 8 module. My engine does not have degrees of advance on the timing belt cover. It only has the one slot to line up.
My biggest problem with megasquirt is that there have been numerous updates to tunerstudioMS which major changes and after searching the internet, the manual only references the older version of tunerstudioMS. For example, the tool bar is different on my version and I can not find the location to set the reference angle or fixed timing. I appreciate the info. I am at the very beginning of the tuning process and have no way of know if my timing is accurate other then pulling the valve cover and turning the engine by hand.