Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
Can I use the opti wiring as a B+ and ground for the controller.
I would recommend connecting VIN and GND to the same circuits your going to be powering and grounding your coils with, definitely not the opti power because GM used such small gauge wire for this. I suggest this because the system voltage is measured between GND and VIN and we want a direct picture of the voltage the coils are seeing so dwell can be compensated accordingly.

G2 should be connected to the opti ground - think of this as a PCM signal ground reference.

G3,tx,rx,dtr are needed for logging only.
More importantly for flashing firmware updates.

What is STS
This allows for an externally wired LED that mirrors the yellow status indicator. O1 can be used similarly for the red OUT1 indicator, or whatever. As mentioned a few posts back the INPUT_TEST mode will show the low res opti input state with the OUT1 LED, and the high res on the STATUS LED.

I'll try to make time soon to write up a proper install guide. Documentation isn't really my favorite, and I frequently describe things in terms that only make sense to someone on the asperger's spectrum. So I may need help translating some ideas so they make sense to a wider audience.

So far everything's been good. I've put about 400 miles on this firmware version with nothing I can attribute to the controller save one missed start yesterday afternoon. I believe this may be a minor bug in sequence detection - I've had two instances (over the entire life of the project mind you) where it's refused to start immediately and feels like starting a distributor car with plug wires badly misplaced. I suspect this is an edge case happening only when the engine comes to rest at a particular location and the inverse sequence detection isn't just right. I'll try to log every start going forward but I may have to get more aggressive with trying to reproduce because I'm fairly certain it's only happened twice out of at least 600+ starts.