Thread: Knock sensor and related parts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Elky View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's imperative you know details about the injectors, (and other things). A correct injector flow rate must be entered in the calibration because it affects fueling (VE table). And voltage offsets may also be important.

The attached file contains your custom chip calibration in a S_AUJP bin + ADX and XDF. I ran the bin as is in my car and all OK despite needing significant tuning. The only things I changed for you were (see TPro log file):
    - Cylinder Volume from 713cc to 727cc (.030 over)
    - Base Distributor Advance from 6 deg to 10 deg per your belief that is where distributor is set.
    So if this bin does not run somewhat decently, there are other mechanical/electrical issues.

My recommendations:
    - Make sure your IAC/TPS are properly set (Google for TPI instructions). Recommend 0.6v at 0% TPS
    - Ensure your dist is set at 10 deg with bypass disconnected or change bin accordingly
    - Increase idle spark from 20 to 21 or 22 deg and use those values from 400-800 RPM all kPas. Then at 1000 RPM, same value for 40-60 kPa. That makes spark always the same for idle. Smooth around 1000 area and transitions to off-idle.
    -Despite AL heads, ensure you need that much spark above idle.
    - User TPro difference tool and compare your new bin with the uncalibrated released S_AUJP bin. Pull into your bin any things that seem strange they were changed in your custom tune. Like:
    ---Switch 18 (0x018) - Bit 1 - Reset INT to 128 when in AE (Y/N)
    ---Spark Latency Correction (Should only be changed by someone on a dyno. Maybe the tuner copied that from some other tune. Should rarely be changed.)
    ---SPARK ADV, Temp. Correction .vs. Load .vs. Coolant Temp. Current settings providing too much spark below 133 deg. All entries should be 20.04 to match the coolant bias Scalar to yield 0 deg change
    ---PE Spark Adv. Is this really needed with all you now have?
    ---etc . . . . .

Bottom line, aside from spark and VE tables and a few Flags, can't assume use of anything different than the uncalibrated S_AUJP without a good reason.

And again, don't hot-rod it until tuned. See prior post with recommended procedure.

HTH, Elky
    Thanks, Elky. Sorry took so long, have family issues going on in Central FL needing tending to.
    I do have a mechanical background, but it's old. Updraft carbs and magnetos, manual injection diesels and solid roller camshafts type of old. So essentially from heads down I understand it. Everything with a wire to it, in this context may as well be 100% new to me, so not going to offend me asking anything. I appreciate the help and if I get to the point where I've worn out my welcome - perhaps I'll have enough knowledge to not drown.

Loaded the BIN on a chip, and it runs fine - very similar to the old .BIN file from a sound/drive feel. It takes more spins to start it now, (that's something I've been paying attention to, and will troubleshoot later, but each .BIN I've loaded has had different characteristics when it fires up the car - I thought it fired up the car based on the cold start info on the original MEMCAL)

Done - Make sure your IAC/TPS are properly set (Google for TPI instructions). Recommend 0.6v at 0% TPS
    Done - Ensure your dist is set at 10 deg with bypass disconnected or change bin accordingly
    Don't know how - yet. - Increase idle spark from 20 to 21 or 22 deg and use those values from 400-800 RPM all kPas. Then at 1000 RPM, same value for 40-60 kPa. That makes spark always the same for idle. Smooth around 1000 area and transitions to off-idle.
    Not sure I understand this. Is this in reference the above sentence?-Despite AL heads, ensure you need that much spark above idle.

- User TPro difference tool and compare your new bin with the uncalibrated released S_AUJP bin. Pull into your bin any things that seem strange they were changed in your custom tune. Like:
    What does this do?---Switch 18 (0x018) - Bit 1 - Reset INT to 128 when in AE (Y/N)
    What should this be?---Spark Latency Correction (Should only be changed by someone on a dyno. Maybe the tuner copied that from some other tune. Should rarely be changed.)
    Does this indicate a need for a lower thermostat, or incompetence in original coding of the .BIN?---SPARK ADV, Temp. Correction .vs. Load .vs. Coolant Temp. Current settings providing too much spark below 133 deg. All entries should be 20.04 to match the coolant bias Scalar to yield 0 deg change
    I am unsure. What modifications would necessitate a PE Spark advance? Is this primarily for pressurized applications? ---PE Spark Adv. Is this really needed with all you now have?
    ---etc . . . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by doc_rock; 06-24-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added log file
    1990 F-Bomb
    355 urethane mounted noisemaker
    LT4 Roller Top end
    Some sort of cam
    vette stopping stuff
    4th gen rear
    headers that belong in a trash can
    some other unimportant things
    +15hp steering wheel and wheels combo