Thread: Want to build a 1990 5.7 to a proven chip. Not high performace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!
    Dave w. Thanks in advance for the data logging help when I get there. I assume running the engine with the stock chip "causes no harm" it just will not be optimum and may hurt mileage and "runability".

tayto, you say "stock or close to stock cam. WASyL mentioned a LT1 cam. Would you consider this stock and would I need to be concerned about push rod length? Any suggestion on a "stock-ish" cam other than the LT1 Or the L98 mentioned in my original post.

I'm getting a block from a guy that built an engine for his race car when he first started to race. He is a mechanic by trade and I work with him though I don't spin wrenches anymore. He ran the engine only (didn't finish) one race. It had oil pressure issue as in the pressure would drop as the engine revved higher. He quit with only a couple of laps on the engine. He claimed it was a fault of the oil pump and I think either the pickup was to close to the pan or the pickup itself was restricted. He said it never went below 20PSI. It's a 350 bored .030 and ground crank .010/.010. I'm getting it for $50! I'll tear it down and check everything. Even if it's "no good' I think someplace along the line I'll get my $50 back out of it in parts. Don't know if it's been decked or not. It has flat top pistons in it now. It has only the rotating assembly and pistons/rods. No cam, oil pump etc. I'm hoping it has provisions for roller lifters. He said it's not bored for a fuel pump which gives me hope. Another reason he stopped running it. AND he wanted more HP than the stock crank and block could provide as it's a two bolt main.

I apologize for all the questions. As I said it's been a very long time since I've done this. My last big build was in my 66 GTO with the 2.02?? intake valves, Crane Fireball cam and all the goodies to go with. Then life happened! hahaha

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenh397 View Post
    Dave w. Thanks in advance for the data logging help when I get there. I assume running the engine with the stock chip "causes no harm" it just will not be optimum and may hurt mileage and "runability".Ken
    Why wait on data logging, the software has a free trial version: https://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm.

The cable is about $60: http://aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

TunerPro RT double downs as a SCAN TOOL

Years ago, I made space in my tool box for a Laptop . . . fast forward to today . . . my tool box has Laptops.

dave w

TunerPro RT Dash.jpg

TunerPro RT Item Lists.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Why wait on data logging, the software has a free trial version: https://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm.

The cable is about $60: http://aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

TunerPro RT double downs as a SCAN TOOL

Years ago, I made space in my tool box for a Laptop . . . fast forward to today . . . my tool box has Laptops.

dave w

TunerPro RT Dash.jpg

TunerPro RT Item Lists.jpg
    Well first I need a lap top with windows. Quite sure a chromebook won't cut it??? Guess i could try it though. Ya never know for sure.

Downloaded a copy of TP on to my PC to look at and read the help files. I have to assume it needs to be connected to something to see the screen you posted. Looks like a steep learning curve for me but will have to wait until a laptop and cable is purchased. In the meantime I'll peruse the help files.

Thanks! Ken
    Last edited by kenh397; 02-07-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenh397 View Post
    Well first I need a lap top with windows. Quite sure a chromebook won't cut it??? Guess i could try it though. Ya never know for sure.

Downloaded a copy of TP on to my PC to look at and read the help files. I have to assume it needs to be connected to something to see the screen you posted. Looks like a steep learning curve for me but will have to wait until a laptop and cable is purchased. In the meantime I'll peruse the help files.

Thanks! Ken
    Maybe this link will help? https://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how...-a-chromebook/

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Will give the remote access a try. Otherwise I'll be in WAY over my head! Still a laptop will be the best. Maybe I can talk the wife into a new laptop???? She has mentioned it!

Thanks Dave!

Ken

I agree with dave w, for your goals the only way to achieve them is to tune YOUR combination. Yes, there will be some canned tunes that will be close, but the one requirement that you will miss out on, that seems very important to you is economy. Again, yes a canned tuned can be ok here, but I have found that to get any real economy out of an engine, you need to tune the specific combination for it, best way to be while being driven (using an EPROM emulator, like a Moates Ostrich 2.0), that way you can get the engine sipping fuel, without bucking and causing issues when you get back into the throttle from a leaner cruise.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I have 3 dell D630's(amongst other lappy's) I use for car stuff, they are cheap on ebay ~$100 and even have an onboard serial port for old school. One I put all the ram, solid state drive, dual boot winXP and 10 and still only in it for ~$200
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    if it was a stock 305 and you were on a budget i'd maybe consider the Lt1 cam. you can definetly run a bigger cam if you are in the 10:1 range. I know fast355 likes the LT4 cam (not hotcam) which is similar to the L98 cam. I originally was going to run the L98 cam with 1.7 rockers but ended up getting my Howard's cam for cheap and used up 1.5 roller rockers i've had sitting around for years.
    Last edited by tayto; 02-08-2021 at 05:18 AM.