Thread: DIY LTCC or similar system for LT1s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just wanted to update with more info. Fully tested to 6800 rev limiter, no abhorrent behavior.

Also, I tested the multiplier offset fairly extensively. Based on your observations (kur4o) I decided to lower dwell to the point I could sense a difference in idle. It didn't happen until about -84 (base multiplier 44) or about 70% [edit: below] of the test data "max" dwell target. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.1ms. Even drove on interstate @ 75mph as low as -78. I ended up scaling the 8183 dwell table by 0.6 across the board, and adding some minor tweaks to the map vs rpm multiplier table. Seems to put the average dwell target around 2.0ms in normal driving.

I put about 150 miles on this setup with another 50 already on the trip odometer since last fill-up and came out at 22.1 mpg even with several hard wot pulls, a 1/4 mile pass to 130-ish and 6-8 aggressive merges onto interstate (15-75mph @ 60-90% throttle). No noticeable change other than feeling some "surginess" around 1700-2400 rpm occasionally that seems to be a product of using too many floating point logging pids at 500ms intervals.

kur4o if you've got time I'd love to hear your impressions of using the multiplier offset and how the engine reacts to less / more overall dwell. I'd really like to figure out if it's possible to use one map vs rpm multiplier table or not. Though if I have to I can probably just buy a complete set of D514a coils. Maybe a set of D585s too. Though I'd really rather spend that money on paint and fixing the dying window regulator motor.

I'd also like to discuss some ideas for implementing multi-spark - i.e. what type of tables would make the most sense, when it should be disabled, etc. Obviously it will have to work within lower rpm ranges, based on coil charge / recovery time.

Meanwhile I'll try to plug away at the documentation. Have I mentioned how much I hate writing documentation?